Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: boatmurdred impact on me  (Read 2391 times)

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
Re: boatmurdred impact on me
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:20:25 am »

Boatmurdered is what got me interested in Dwarf Fortress. I think I found it through stumbleupon.

When I got to the point in Boatmurdered where the overseer said "Welcome to fucking Boatmurdered! Hope you like miasma!" I laughed so hard my nose started bleeding.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Greyejoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:39:00 pm »

I spent a solid half of reading between laughing sitting in my chair, and laughing rolling on the floor. It's what made me finally take the plunge into learning how to play DF.

Also, it affected my friend in playing other games:

That reminds me! I made a spell in oblivion as a tribute to it. The spell lit them on fire, increased all combat stats by 100, and made them go beserk
If you had necromancy powers, this would be a pretty solid way to prank people.
A creepy old man runs up to you and suddenly the skin in your backpack tries to kill you? High Octane Nightmare Fuel much.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »

I want a spell that does that...

Boatmurdered was immensely entertaining, but I had already started playing DF by the time I'd heard of it. Gave me ideas for magma-cannon megaprojects and taught me to better defend my forts though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:45 pm »

A long time ago, I had downloaded a copy of DF back when it was 2D, took one look at the interface, and gave up.

Years later, I read Boatmurdered, which inspired me to actually learn to play the game, which had gone into 40d by then. XD

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:10 pm »

Boatmurder? Not so much.

Bronzemurder? Oh, yes indeed.

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 04:03:49 pm »

It was my gateway drug like so many others, and it also got me into playing succession forts.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 04:15:21 pm »

Yup, Boatmurdered is what's known as a gateway drug.  It wasn't for me though, I read it during a break from DF and then promptly returned to using again.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 05:52:43 pm »

A long time ago, I had downloaded a copy of DF back when it was 2D, took one look at the interface, and gave up.
Years later, I read Boatmurdered, which inspired me to actually learn to play the game, which had gone into 40d by then. XD
Pretty much the same here.
Well, actually on the first try I got as far as trying to construct a well, failed miserably and moved on to playing something else.
After Boatmurdered I just had to learn the game  :)
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."
Pages: 1 [2]