Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress layout planning tool?  (Read 566 times)

castun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress layout planning tool?
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:27:41 pm »

Does anybody use or know of programs that may prove useful in planning out your fortress layout?  I realize something like Paint zoomed in so each pixel is a square is somewhat useful, but I was hoping for something a bit more robust I guess.  This is mostly for when I'm supposed to be working at work (when I've actually got nothing to do), I'd just rather not try drawing on graph paper so as not to gain unwanted attention.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress layout planning tool?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »

Quickfort works, but requires a bit of visualization.  You kinda have to envision that "Cw" is actually a wall, and "b" is actually a bed, but if you play DF you should already know how to visualize.  Plus quickfort lets you apply that in-world as a macro template.  It just uses a spreadsheet program to read numbers and letters.

Then there's always DF itself.  Load a world with [SPEED:0] and invasions off, and just sandbox it.  If you're using ASCII then most people don't recognize you're playing a game.

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress layout planning tool?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:42:53 pm »

If you use Quickfort, web fort may be useful too. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70957.0