Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: slab help?  (Read 541 times)

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
slab help?
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:45:00 am »

when do i need a slab and what do i do with it?
ive buried dwarved and pets, and in some cases, even carved slabs for them, but im not sure what to do with them.
how are they different from coffins?
also, what is the point of carving a slab for, say, a forgotten beast i've slain?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: slab help?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 03:56:26 am »

ive buried dwarved and pets, and in some cases, even carved slabs for them, but im not sure what to do with them.
also, what is the point of carving a slab for, say, a forgotten beast i've slain?

For the forgotten beast, it would be kind of cool. (Of course, then they aren't forgotten anymore, are they?)

Build the slab at a masons.

Engrave it at a craftsdwarf.

Build the engraved slab wherever you want.

They're different from coffins in that they don't need a body. You have to have a body (or at least parts) for a coffin to work.

The main (non-"I'm doing this because it's neat) reason to put down a slab is to rest a ghost.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:45:33 am »

Just to add something to the above post: engraving is done with the engraving skill, that might seem obvious but I was trying to let my stonecrafter it do and that obviously did not work :(

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 11:07:05 am »

I like to put memorial slabs for the FB's I've killed, all around my main entrance, as an aesthetic "warning" against any potential attackers.  Currently I've got them perched above the gate like championship banners in a stadium.  Pretty sure they don't really do anything, though.