Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temporarily Blocking Stairs  (Read 489 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Temporarily Blocking Stairs
« on: February 22, 2011, 11:30:48 am »

There's a bird down there. A big nasty one. I have minutes at best... how!? I tried laying a floor but that means the dwarf can't get up...
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temporarily Blocking Stairs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 11:44:53 am »

There may be no fix quick enough, but in the future, you can build Hatch Covers at a Mason or Carpenter's workshop or a Forge and put those on top of all your stairs.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 11:55:01 am »

It can be done by temporarily flooding your fortress, that way you do not have to create hatchcovers :)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 12:15:14 pm »

I managed to build a wall around it so that's ok. :D
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:04:41 pm »

Hatches are the easiest "cheaty" way since nothing can attack stuff on the z-level above.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:12:50 pm »

Hatches are the easiest "cheaty" way since nothing can attack stuff on the z-level above.

Yeah, they are pretty cheap; I really only lock them in emergencies (or to funnel goblins onto the killing floor.  that's perfectly legit, right?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.