Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ghost Probs.  (Read 836 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Ghost Probs.
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »

Okkk... fisherdwarf fell in and drowned. I set him up a coffin, and it was set as his, and then I used some pump science so we could get his body.

Interestingly enough, I think the pump sort of killed his body, everything of his has disappeared except his trousers. Including his body. Coffin is empty.

So now he's back an haunting us. Even though his coffin is labelled as his (but empty).

Then he claims the coffin and turns it into his own tomb as a ghost.

Still no body parts in sight.

Then... he disappears. He's gone. But the tomb is still empty, and owned by him as a ghost as opposed to being his bodies tomb, and I can't give him a slab, it's just not given to him or anything. So... wut!?
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Ghost Probs.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 03:39:24 pm »

His body was probably claimed by the bug that causes objects pushed by water to vanish into limbo.  His body is still there in the water, it's just vanished, although if you can make the square accessible long enough some dwarf will go down and retrieve it.

If you go into your stocks menu through the 'z' screen, and go down to corpses, you should be able to zoom to the actual physical location of his corpse, provided it still exists in any way.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 03:42:25 pm »

Yeah, which is why I'm going to try that, I've just not got a record keeper. XD

The reason I couldn't place the slab was because I forgot the engrave it -.-

And he's back and haunting now too.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:47:56 pm »

Engrave a slab for him and then build the engraved slab, it will put him at rest.

You can also recover the corpse if you drain the lake. Magma or atom smashers will completely destroy the corpse, but if he merely drowned in water the corpse is still recoverable.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 03:54:40 pm »

I had a problem like this too, from a guy who fell into a volcano. He claimed an empty coffin [but it could be manually reassigned] and he didn't show up in the slab engrave list. Eventually, I noticed that things were getting buggier and buggier and was more or less forced to abandon the fortress.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 03:59:40 pm »

Well his body is definitely there. Does anyone know the requirements for someone to go grab it? It's only in 7/7 water with stairs next to it... someone higher than dabbling swimming should go fetch it right? I've got someone reasonably good at swimming, and I set it to be dumped, and they're not going in.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 04:00:51 pm »

It will not be fetched until the water drops to 4/7 or below.  It doesn't matter if the dwarf can swim, tiles full of 7/7 water are flagged as impassible, so no dwarf will try to retrieve an item from them.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 04:15:25 pm »

Hm. What do I do...

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 04:39:00 pm »

Set up a pump next to it and drain the lake.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 04:41:08 pm »

I did, it wasn't working. I set up 2. Done. :D