Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing the mayor...  (Read 2281 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Replacing the mayor...
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:40:13 am »

So just weathered two sieges, with a migrant wave arriving in the middle of mayhem, along with some elven traders.

As I cart bodies, limbs, looted goods and goblinite, and count the dead, the mayor I didn't know I had demands some zinc items.  I look, and I have no zinc bearing ore anywhere.  So I can't be bothered, and use [r] to replace him.

Next one on the list is fine for about a minute, then demands cotton candy gloves.  [r] again...

What will replacing the mayor do in terms of upset, moody or insane dwarves? If nothing, why has the lever of doom become the main way of dealing with demanding nobles rather than this?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing the mayor...
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:07:40 am »

Because it's violent and needlessly complicated. Could also be that players were so annoyed by the nobles you couldn't replace so all nobles got painted with the same brush. It happens.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:14:05 am »

Replacing mayor is a new feature, obtained along with broken migrating nobles. Back in 40d you had to literally fire someone to get replacement. Same with the barons, now you select one by yourself and thus you and only you are responsible for slade crafts mandates, but old habits die hard.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:47:41 am »

Cool.  Never tried 40d - I find this version FUN enough...

Last two mayors both died during ambush, so will never find out if it upset them....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:54:46 am »

You can also just ignore law enforcement and never make a fortress guard or appoint a captain. That way nobody ever gets punished and the only downside is the wronged noble getting a minor bad thought at having their mandates ignored.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:04:25 am »

In my experience, replacing the mayor does not cancel the mandates the previous mayor has.  Mandates are only canceled when a mayor is replaced as the result of an election (or suffers an Unfortunate Accident).  If you use the (r)eplace function in the nobles screen to replace a mayor with unmeetable mandates, the mandates of the old mayor will still be active, even though they're not listed on the nobles screen anymore, and will still cause Justice when they aren't met.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

JarinArenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:33 am »

You can also just ignore law enforcement and never make a fortress guard or appoint a captain. That way nobody ever gets punished and the only downside is the wronged noble getting a minor bad thought at having their mandates ignored.
I just build high-quality jail cells (for happy prisoners), and make sure I appoint a weak sheriff.