Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: suddenly...doesn't work anymore!  (Read 984 times)

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
suddenly...doesn't work anymore!
« on: February 19, 2011, 11:37:53 pm »

Hello fellow dorfs!,  ;D

this is my problem:

1. I fire up the game(no graphics mod) like usual.
2. select Create a New World.
3. Specify what I would like to have.
4. The games generates the world.
5. Start playing...

ERROR!...  :o

The game simply colapses (Windows tells me it has to be closed)

Everything since the last update.  :-\

just in case, my pc especifications are:
Windows 7 64bit
core i7
4Gb RAM
28Gb free in main partition of HD.

Hope it's just a bug from latest realese. ::)

Happy digging!  :D

your fellow dorf,

Daniel.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: suddenly...doesn't work anymore!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 11:46:07 pm »

It crashes when you press go at the embark screen?

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:49:10 pm »

hi!, No, it crashes when it starts to gather the information for choosing the best place to embark... just before that...

it's pretty weird...yesterday I played some test fortress to try the last update and they worked fine.

I already turned off my computer, killed processes...everything!..

D.

Cassicotca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:47:34 am »

hmm.. I have experienced instability at the embark screen but not before it. Try genning a new world and see if the problem persists.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 05:10:39 am »

i sometimes experience crash when the game is trying to save the world it just generated, before it finishes and returns to menu.

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:40 am »

I got a Q6600 2.4GHz  @3.3Ghz (OCed for obvious reasons) and 3.19 is crashing often while 3.18 is ok (have some crashes after saving sometimes).

I did managed to get one or two 3.19 games running at the begininng . My version is version is sort of a hybrid between LazyNewb 7.0 and the new version. I tried changing tileset with no effect. I usually get a black screen after I press enter in the Embark story. It might be that the LNP or I managed to corrupt the release in some way.

I'm going to try to generate world ,quit then start a game. I tried a few things to try and "fix" it  but I'm unsure what's causing it.
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.

Sirdrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:00:25 am »

look in int.file or something like that and turn Print_mode to Print_Mode 2d

ink_runner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:13:22 am »

I've managed to make it work...but only in ASCII mode... no extra mods... even with IRONHAND... simply fails.

Illanair

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as Nexie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:56 am »

I've had crashes during world generation as well with .19 - using a Lazynewb .18 release with manual .19 overwritten patching. Keeping to re-create the world works for me eventually though (4 crashes, then successful)
I am going to copy the chicken entry and rename everything chocobo and make it 100x the size of a normal chicken and make it rideable.  Too bad our dwarves probably wont ride them. >_>

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:04 pm »

I downloaded Phobeus 31.19, and had a problem too.

I genned a few worlds, found one with metal and no aquifier, embarked, chose "prepare carefully", and then "out of memory". This has never happened to me before (2GB RAM, DF takes maybe a few hundred, and windows 300-400). I set virtual memory from 0 to 2GB, and embarked in another world while watching taks manager. DF started eating RAM like candy, and crashed at around 2GB. On another embark there seemed to be no memory leak, but 50% processor (Core 2 Duo) for like 10 minutes, so I killed the process. I only got to playing screen on one embark, when I hit "play now", but it had a rectangular hole in the ground all the way down, filled with water and magma in the air. Starting FPS was 7, so I quit.

31.19 with Phobeus was unplayable to me, so I went back to LNP (31.18) and it was stable.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Niseg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:16:19 am »

Yesterday I tried different things and managed to start a few games. I think this freezing bug is related to embark size. I successfully started a few embark with a "small" map but my original map which is a "smaller" map doesn't seem to work. It might be related to embark location.

Can some people try to make smaller/pocket embarks to see if they can reproduce this?  I'll try it again and send a bug report when I get home (if someone doesn't open one by then). The bug is black screen with music  playing and then the game freezes and I have to kill it .
Projects:Path finding simulator(thread) -A*,weighted A*(traffic zones), user set waypoints (path caching), automatic waypoint room navigation,no-cache room navigation.