Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrant Question  (Read 417 times)

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrant Question
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:59:53 pm »

I have decided that immigrants are an obstacle to my utopian society, so in lieu of building a flood chamber or world-encompassing set of drawbridges, I've tried to edit the raws to set a population cap.

However, this doesn't seem to deter migrants from arriving in my humble mountain village. I just received my fourth wave of migrants, in the third fall, though it was only 3 of them.

If I change the population cap in the raws, does it change the current save file, or do I have to start a new file for it to take effect?

And if so, does that mean it's impossible to turn them back on, to populate my fortress at a later date?

Some help would be welcome, and thanks.

sdrawkcabcM tsirU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Question
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:06:12 pm »

I haven't attempted to mod this myself, but I have heard that the first 3-4 waves of migrants are hard-coded and will ignore the set population cap.

ShinWalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:28:25 pm »

You don't need to edit raws to set a population cap; there's a setting in the init file. The first few waves are hard-coded, however, and as I understand it the init pop cap doesn't stop migrants until a dwarf caravan comes (and leaves?) and you're over the cap, meaning that if you pass the cap just after the dwarves leave you would get another year of immigrants before they stopped.

Gahagan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:40:26 pm »

Thanks Shin - it sounds like your statement that I'm encountering. I'll drop the cap to around 15 in the future - 20 might be a little too high to hit before the 1st caravan leaves.