Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarves won't cook Dwarven Syrup?  (Read 4021 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves won't cook Dwarven Syrup?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:30:14 am »

Do you mean burrows?  This was raised earlier and I was under the impression that it didn't work, so this is an alternative?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 02:39:19 am »

Do you mean burrows?  This was raised earlier and I was under the impression that it didn't work, so this is an alternative?

Yeah. Burrows. Blah.
I missed that it had been tried. I'm curious if this DOES work, then what does that mean for the differences between warrens and actual physically blocking paths. I thought it was supposed to be the same for purposes of choosing jobs.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:28 am »

A warren is a place where rabbits live, so I think that'd be more applicable to Kobold Fortress consider their... adorable cuteness.  Regardless, I've used the locked door plenty of times, usually for milking, so that no one gets in a tug-of-war over where the animal goes, and subsequently cheesing and cooking cheese into a lavish meal.  Worked better than a burrow because it kept others away too.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 02:42:58 am »

A warren is a place where rabbits live, so I think that'd be more applicable to Kobold Fortress consider their... adorable cuteness.  Regardless, I've used the locked door plenty of times, usually for milking, so that no one gets in a tug-of-war over where the animal goes, and subsequently cheesing and cooking cheese into a lavish meal.  Worked better than a burrow because it kept others away too.

yeah. warren is the larger area. Which is made up of individual burrows, is it not?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 02:44:09 am »

Yes, Burrows work.  They completely restrict the movements of any Dwarf assigned to them, to the point where they will only move, do jobs and eat food that is within that Burrow.  In fact, you could restrict a Dwarf to a 1x1 burrow right next to a meal, and he will starve himself to death before he dares break the rules.  Dwarves are incredibly committed to their jobs when it comes to burrows.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:38 am »

hahah. :D Well, I'm going to think of 1x1 warrens as burrows now.
[/quote]

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 04:47:43 am »

The way I do it is to make as much syrup as I can, then make 1 solid item (if you're using sweet pods dwarven sugar is fairly convenient for this). Then cook. Repeat. Takes a bit of micro, but I do like syrup.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 09:30:25 am »

I have never had a problem getting my dwarves to cook syrup.  The secret seems to be in making sure that the syrup is the closest thing to the kitchen.  I make a stockpile surrounding the kitchens that only accepts syrup, and then have other cooking ingredients further away.  The cook grabs one solid ingredient from further away, then for the remaining ingredients takes the closest thing available, which is the syrup.  From what I've seen they have no problem using Syrup even if there are other solid ingredients available, so long as the syrup is the closest thing to the kitchen.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 09:55:20 am »

I've never had problems cooking syrup either.

They need at least one solid item to make a meal, but I haven't noticed a preference for solid items over liquid ones.

Worse comes to worse, you could just have prepare lavish meal on repeat with render fat - they'll render one unit of fat into tallow, then use that to hold their syrup roast together, and repeat.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 10:00:16 am »

Most anything can be cooked, but almost everything is better when processed first.  Like, you can cook a sweet pod, or you can make it into flour and cook it better.  Just an example, I have tested if sweet pods can be cooked.

Sweet Pods have to be either ground or extracted in order to be cooked.  The definition of the plant in the raws lacks the [EDIBLE_RAW] and [EDIBLE_COOKED] tags, which is what is required to eat the harvested plant without first processing it.  The seeds of the sweet pod plants can be cooked, but you have to gather the sweet pods and process them first in order to get the seeds.

yeah. warren is the larger area. Which is made up of individual burrows, is it not?
It is a reasonable mistake to call a "burrow" a "warren" in DF, since the keystroke to define a burrow is "w".   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 [2]