Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: King needs Queen!  (Read 1533 times)

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARF_ALIGNMENT:EVIL]
    • View Profile
King needs Queen!
« on: February 20, 2011, 07:20:28 pm »

I defined a burrow on a golden bedroom, where I like to lock in the king and some female dwarf. I assigned both of them to this burrow but somehow both of them do not care to go there. The king is passing acquaintance on everyone...
Any ideas, what I am doing wrong?
Once upon a time there was a dwarf. Then he died. The End.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
Re: King needs Queen!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 07:33:00 pm »

Do you have everything both could possibly need in this room? Also are all their labors off?

You should have a table and throne for each, a booze/food stock pile, and beds. Also, a cabinet for each is nice. Also, make sure these dwarves do not have a bedroom or any other owned room anywhere else in the fortress.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 07:42:17 pm »

Facepalm...

After waiting ages for them to go there, I decided to post this thread, just to notice, that they start moving there, AFTER i posted this thread. :o

Both were standing around without a job for a long time...

Assassinfox

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
    • Raging at the Box
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 08:05:21 pm »

Facepalm...

After waiting ages for them to go there, I decided to post this thread, just to notice, that they start moving there, AFTER i posted this thread. :o

The King apparently thinks he's too good for silly rules.  Clearly, the King needs Magma.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:32:54 pm »

Facepalm...

The King apparently thinks he's too good for silly rules.  Clearly, the King needs Magma.

Hehe

I think, I did something very wrong. When my dorfs were complaining about the lack of dining rooms tables many years ago, I made 6 legendary dining rooms as meeting halls. Now there are only a very few of them in each room. I guess that is why my dorfs seem not to get in touch with each other.

more facepalm moments
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 08:36:36 pm by Nekudotayim »

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:51:13 pm »

I defined a burrow on a golden bedroom, where I like to lock in the king and some female dwarf. I assigned both of them to this burrow but somehow both of them do not care to go there. The king is passing acquaintance on everyone...
Any ideas, what I am doing wrong?

Just so you know for the future, dwarves don't automatically go hang out in a burrow they're assigned to and they can move around outside of the burrow. What burrows actually effect is what jobs a dwarf can be assigned. Dwarves can only be assigned to jobs that occur within their burrow and I think (although I need more !SCIENCE! to be sure) that they're more likely to get assigned to jobs within their burrow than dwarves who aren't burrowed onto the jobs.

This means that while your king and his potential concubine are just hanging around with no job, they don't have to move to the burrow you've assigned them to. They're free to wander anywhere while they have no job (and as you noticed, they did.)

The easiest way to get around this in the situation you've described is to build levers in the room you want them to move into. Levers are nice in noble rooms anyway, since they increase value. You can set the lever profile to be assigned to the king/soon-to-be queen and then set it to be pulled. Having a job in the room will get your dwarves moving.

Good luck with the dwarven breeding!
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:56:41 pm »

Hmm,  no.  Every single burrow I've set forces dwarves to there instantly, such as the case with military alerts.  I'll run a test using a meeting zone outside the burrow, but I think that burrows define very real limits that are only ever left if the dwarf is starving or dehydrating, and then sometimes they die anyways.

EDIT: Confirmed, my test dwarf will remain in the burrow no matter where the meeting zone (or wagon, mine is still intact) is located.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 09:59:59 pm by Girlinhat »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 10:00:02 pm »

Just in case you haven't already, I suggest paying a visit to your init files and making sure that you have set the maximum child settings to an acceptable level before you play around getting dwarves married.  Unless you keep that percentage of your population that you allow to be children nice and low (like 5%), married female dwarves will be almost constantly pregnant.

Children are basically nobles that have no population cap in your fortress unless you set it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

Hmm,  no.  Every single burrow I've set forces dwarves to there instantly, such as the case with military alerts.  I'll run a test using a meeting zone outside the burrow, but I think that burrows define very real limits that are only ever left if the dwarf is starving or dehydrating, and then sometimes they die anyways.

EDIT: Confirmed, my test dwarf will remain in the burrow no matter where the meeting zone (or wagon, mine is still intact) is located.

I'm not saying they'll use areas outside of the zones, but if you have a dwarf with no jobs and no meeting area inside the burrow, then there's nothing inside the burrow to generate a job that will cause him to move there. I know I've had instances in the past where dwarves refuse to move immediately to the burrow they're assigned to and jobs within the burrow always fix that. I can't test right now, though. =/
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:18:48 pm »

No, in my tests my dwarf ran to the burrow as soon as it was made, sometimes dropping his current job (such as building a wall) and running to his burrow.  Sometimes this is delayed due to some deeply-ingrained bug, but the dwarf will always move into the burrow in short order.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 10:21:45 pm »

I'm not saying they'll use areas outside of the zones, but if you have a dwarf with no jobs and no meeting area inside the burrow, then there's nothing inside the burrow to generate a job that will cause him to move there. I know I've had instances in the past where dwarves refuse to move immediately to the burrow they're assigned to and jobs within the burrow always fix that. I can't test right now, though. =/
I'm not sure about all that, but when I set the civilian alert to one that specified a burrow, ALL the dwarves not assigned to station in another location quit whatever they were doing and started moving (sometimes slowly, admittedly) toward the burrow.  A few got chased past/away from the burrow by the goblins, but everyone indoors was generating cancellation spam because they couldn't get out to chop trees or gather plants.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 10:24:52 pm »

Military alerts seem to function on a thoroughly higher priority, that they even cancel existing burrows.  My dedicated weaver would cancel his weaving burrow and hang out in the over-sized "whole fort" burrow when the military alert was activated.

Nekudotayim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:32:30 pm »

Well, using levers to get them there seems to be the best thing to make sure, they will go there immediately. Once they are in that burrow, they may starve to death, yea. Thank you!

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 05:11:44 am »

Facepalm...

Clearly, I need to sig this.