Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a great 31.19 embark sites  (Read 1851 times)

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
Looking for a great 31.19 embark sites
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:52:58 pm »

Hi guys!

Is anyone else finding it really hard to locate a decent 31.19 enbark site?  It seems like every map I create, searching brings me little in the way of useable results.  Has anyone got any really decent sites they could share?  I'd be looking for; volcano, river/brook, no aquifer, surface clay and soil, not freezing, deep metals.  I can go without surface soil if need be, but I'd rather not if at all possible.

If anyone has a site like this please share?  Even better if it is mirthful!
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Looking for a great 31.19 embark sites
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:54:44 pm »

If you give up the volcano I'm sure you can find the rest. Just dig down to the magma sea and set up your metalworking there. It's a bit longer to haul, but not bad.

Hell, just build your whole fort there.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 01:04:52 pm »

I'm in theory fine with that, but I just have NO patience for getting my metalworking started - and with kilns now having a use I want my pottery working up good and soon, so volcano is non-negotiable!

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:07:08 pm »

I've actually always found I get things started faster when I go to the magma sea than tapping a volcano. Mostly because I don't have to wait for the magma to flow from the volcano to wherever I want my metalworking - instead, it's always right under my fort.

*shrug* I guess if you build workshops right on top of the volcano that's faster.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

MomeRath

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:09:02 pm »

I'm sorry to say I don't have a perfect embark at the moment, but if you're designing worlds with advanced parameters, try increasing the x- and y- variance for volcanism, and increase the minimum volcano number. This should get you more volcanoes (obviously), and also give them a better chance of appearing near ferrous areas.

Also, I believe if you set the "min drainage" value to relatively high - not sure how high - there will be fewer aquifers on the map.

...And if it works, let me know. ;D

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 01:37:31 pm »

Ooh, thanks for the tips.  I'll give the params a few tweaks and see how I go :)

Iados

• Bay Watcher
  • Back from the Dead
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 01:39:49 pm »

If you are looking for a cool embark site, you play without cave-ins and can survive some time of big lag, try this:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77700.0

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:25:10 pm »

Is there a trick to finding out what metals a site has?  I embarked on shallow metals and only got galena.  Does deep mean lots of layers have them...?

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:40:14 pm »

No, deep just means there is metal down in the cavern areas IMHO.  There is still no guarantee of anything fancy without "multiple" being the search setting for either shallow or depe metal.  And even then you might get multiple rubbish metals.

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

I'd settle for a spot with clay.  Just created my fourth world and not a single embark with clay anywhere in the entire world.  The three three forts I started also had no bees.  Bad luck, I suppose.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »

Is there a trick to finding out what metals a site has?  I embarked on shallow metals and only got galena.  Does deep mean lots of layers have them...?

Same thing happened to me!  So I made a squad of unarmored dwarves with silver warhammers, and a ton of crafts (for trade).

My parent civ has no iron... but hey, at least they have steel, so a couple years in I have a few steel breast plates, even though they were exorbitantly priced. 

It's more fun when you can't just queue up make coke x30, make ironx30, make pig ironx30, make steelx30... and then get huge piles of every armor piece you could want, and have dwarves running around in exceptional steel everything in a couple years time.   

Shandra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 06:24:38 pm »

Well, I can share you grieve.... I had some really interesting embark sides for .14/.16 (sed.flux + met.flux, sand, lotsa metals, volcano, etc.) where I could change neutral + good or evil biomes via a change in numbers of natural caves during creation, somewhere down the line I even had a neutral+evil+good biome side with all I want in it).... for .18 it was a PITA to find something suitable and now for .19 I stick with the one I posted in the worldgen cookbook thread. Once Today is down to a version where worldgen wouldn't change that much I may be again venturing for an ideal embark, but so far I settle with less than optimal)... trying the new features out is time consumptioning enough IMHO, and having an perfect embark side isn't worth anything (IMHO again) unless the world parms would regenerate that side with the next version also%> :insane:

One of the best tips I had found in this forum to get a good embark side is to set lowest and max vulcanism to 2500 (wich often brought me sedimentary flux and metamorphic flux + sand).
I am also adding a min. rainfall of 5 and some altering to the temperature settings (+some endless changes I kept with experimenting since .40*.... once you have found a good embark, save that world seeds and try to experiment with number of civs or number of natural caves, etc. and if you then get a really cool side you may experiment with sticking to that parameters and world seed and only randomizing history and creature seed (name seed is well, optional).... and once that got you your dream side you may again finetune ("crossmerging") with things like number of caves, number of civs, erosion cycle, etc.

In short: find a good basic worldgen recipe that provides you with the worlds you want and then find one seed where you start to experiment with the details...

But I must confess, for .19 I so far was unable to get any playable civ. that starts with bit.coal, lignite was all I got so far - and no civ. I had experienced in this version ever had bauxite for trade.
But at least with my current world I have no problem with flux and metal, either I have it on side and/or my parent civ. is able to sell it to me.

Ok, long post - only real 2cent of mine: stay with the first suboptimal best world/side you get for now - this DF2010 branch is far to new and ever changing to waste time on finding an ideal embark [edit: meant "perfect embark", as I know no one of us would settle for less then ideal]...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 07:00:52 pm by Shandra »