Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cattle pens  (Read 399 times)

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cattle pens
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:55:28 pm »

hello there neckbeards, a question occurs. prior to this grazing thing, i never bothered building outside, preferring the ease and safety of an entirely underground fortress. the question is: can one make a roofed enclosure for cattle? a simple one z-level wall will keep mundane creatures out, though fliers will circumvent it entirely. i wish to create a pasture inside a walled enclosure with a roof and a tunnel to the center of my fortress. i wish to protect it from fliers, however. is this possible, and if so how would i do it?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cattle pens
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 07:01:44 pm »

Sure its possible. Make a walled area, build up/down stairs by the wall and then build a floor on the z-level above.
Memento Mori

Haekel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cattle pens
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 07:02:43 pm »

Build a (temporary) ramp next to the wall, outside of your building. Then build floor tiles on top of your wall, they will function as a "roof". Once you're done, remove the ramp.

Note that it is currently possible to create an indoor pasture on soil. Just dig a large area (10x10 will do for about 20 small grazers) in any non-stone area and wait a few moments.   Grass will appear almost immediately. Use sheep, pigs and goats for this kind of pasture, since they eat a lot less than cows and horses. Fun fact, I bought an elephant from the elven trader. It could not eat the grass fast enough to stop it from starving! :D