Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inside a Star Filled Sky  (Read 2142 times)

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
Inside a Star Filled Sky
« on: February 20, 2011, 11:12:15 am »

I've been playing this new game called Inside a Star Filled Sky and it's pretty cool. It's an all-procedurally-generated top down shooter where you fly around and shoot stuff. You can pick up upgrades which come into play in the next level. The really clever part is that you play as the level before each time you play. What happens is the screen zooms out and displays a larger picture of the level, and then you play as the level, with all the upgrades you collected, doing the same thing. Should you get stuck then you can go inside yourself and collect some better upgrades before going back into the fray.

http://insideastarfilledsky.net
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
Re: Inside a Star Filled Sky
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 11:17:50 am »

Lack of demo makes me sad.  Looks pretty interesting though.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 11:30:11 am »

Looking around the game files I've noticed that the graphics are moddable (To what extent I'm not sure) and there are a bunch of settings that I have yet to play around with. There's one setting that's an AI that is incredibly good during the first ten or so levels but dies horribly after that.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:35:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I found the game rather boring. It's an interesting concept but there just isn't enough going on to keep me entertained.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 07:03:32 pm »

I agree with that I think. It definitely had the "just one more level" feel for me and I love the concept, but the upgrades weren't persistent enough for me. I can see the Disgaea influence, but I like how it's done in Disgaea (as an RPG, rather than a shooter).
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 07:26:49 pm »

I've got the same feeling. It's a cool concept, but there's no overarching goal or sense of escalation to keep you playing- one level is essentially the same as the last, with neither the enemies nor the upgrades getting more dramatic. Hopefully future updates will add some more flavor.

Speaking of which, has anyone else played his other game, Sleep Is Death? It's incredibly cool, but you need multiple dedicated players.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »

Yup, I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in a few threads here before. It may have even had its own at some point. (Yup. Looks like there were at least three.)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:18:01 pm »

Speaking of which, has anyone else played his other game, Sleep Is Death? It's incredibly cool, but you need multiple dedicated players.
I didn't think it was all that cool.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 08:33:50 am »

Yup, played a game of it with someone else on this forum. It was fun but a real hassle to get people to play with.
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 12:08:50 pm »

Is there any plans for a demo of IASFS?