Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mititia vanished...  (Read 357 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mititia vanished...
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:16:30 pm »

So I just reloaded DF on a mission to breach the caverns, when I noticed my one squad of militia was gone.

Completely.

Even their name was changed, and instead of The Whiskered Swords, the training room was given to the Routed Gloves, with no members.

The trouble is that I can't re-enlist the old members - the experienced, well-trained squad.  Their names don't come up on the names to choose from.

If it helps, I'm in 31.18 - I'm finding that tricky enough without upgrading to .19...

Any suggestions? I suppose I could have accidently hit the wrong button, but could I disband an entire squad that way, and how do I enlist them again?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Mititia vanished...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:27:19 pm »

My psychic debugging skills tell me you played one fortress for a while, then saved and loaded another without closing and restarting Dwarf Fortress.

If you have not yet saved your 2nd fortress (and permanently destroyed its military settings), use Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and forcibly close Dwarf Fortress, then restart it and load your fortress again.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mititia vanished...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »

Well, I had played another fort, but after closing and reopening, and then closed that game of DF before opening this one.  It gets cryptic enough ordinarily without cross-contaminating forts...

Anyway, I disbanded the squad I'd never heard of, and all my militia reappeared.  No idea what did happen, but shows that if something stops working in DF, dismantling it and building it again usually works.

Thanks

Because DF players are heavily into pain.