Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water/Lava interaction  (Read 839 times)

AgentPaper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Water/Lava interaction
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:09:55 pm »

So as far as I understand, until recently when water hits lava or lava hits water, you would get either obsidian OR steam, depending on which was being poured on the other. However I just checked the DFWiki and apparently now you get obsidian AND steam, no matter which is being poured on. Is this correct? I was hoping to make a fortress that involved water being poured onto lava and turning into steam, but if this is the case then that's no longer possible, since the lava will just all turn into obsidian and then I'll just have a nice big lake at the bottom of the waterfall, which is significantly less impressive. :(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Water/Lava interaction
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:22:52 pm »

Depends on how it's set up, I suppose.  You may wish to use a burning lead bin filled with wood crafts, as this will cause sufficient steam when watered, and can be ignited via magma.  So your existing plumbing would only need slight tweaking to allow for the stockpile, and the effect would still be steam.

Keep in mind that steam is no longer lethal.  In older versions it would strip skin, but now it's more of a sauna.  Smoke might be preferred, as any breathing creature (ie, not bronze colossus) that inhales smoke will suffer and eventually die of it.  This just requires something on fire, no water needed for smoke.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 07:23:17 pm »

My experience seems to be that quantity is a factor. When I've tried to force obsidian by bucket brigade, the water simply turned into steam, but when I've poured water on magma, it turned into obsidian. I've noted - primarily in the arena, but also in one fort where I decided to flood the world with magma, then got bored with the slow pace and decided to also flood it with water - that water 1/7 deep seems to evaporate when it comes into contact with lava, while water 2/7 deep or more results in obsidian.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

AgentPaper

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 07:42:54 pm »

Hm, I guess I'll have to experiment. I'm not really trying to make a steam generator, steam would just be a nice byproduct of the real purpose, namely creating a giant hole from the surface to the sea floor which the lava ocean, thus creating a giant whirlpool whirling around my fortress in the center. Massive gouts of steam coming up from the bottom would be great, but mostly I just don't want the lava sea to get an obsidian cap and then have the ocean just fill in.