Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The 2D Version  (Read 1026 times)

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The 2D Version
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:25:45 pm »

Perhaps its the wrong moment to start with this but i planned to play the old 2D Versions again.
Back when i staarted to play DF i played them for a few days and after this the new Versions appear fascinated by the new options the give i let 2D fall.
But now after a big new release with awesome features im kind of willing to play the old Version again ( or to Fail it like you want to say ;D).
I just want to ask if some other brave Humans Dwarves on this Forum are doing the same so we can share a few storys about marroding elephants or did you just forget 2D?

Hope to get a Answer.

Sincerely Bastus ( Gamer Dwarf in a strange mood).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: The 2D Version
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 05:05:45 pm »

There's still plenty of 40d players out there, you won't be exactly hard-pressed to find any.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 05:06:54 pm »

There's still plenty of 40d players out there, you won't be exactly hard-pressed to find any.

I'm pretty sure the version BEFORE 40d is 2D, that or the version before that.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »

The last 2d version was 23a, but I think he meant that there are 40d players so you shouldn't be hard pressed to find 2d players as well.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:13:00 pm »

The last 2D version released was 0.23.130.23a. If you do decide to play that version, be sure to check out DFFD and grab a copy of Dwarf Manipulator (similar to Dwarf Therapist) and 2D Forbidder (so you can forbid items, as well as chasm/melt stuff outside of the stocks screen) - I played that version for a while, and I wrote those tools to make it slightly more bearable.

Before you start playing, you might want to edit the magma man raws and fix them as described here so they don't just instantly die when they spawn.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 08:18:45 pm »

I'd be willing, sure.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 08:26:59 pm »

The last 2D version released was 0.23.130.23a. If you do decide to play that version, be sure to check out DFFD and grab a copy of Dwarf Manipulator (similar to Dwarf Therapist) and 2D Forbidder (so you can forbid items, as well as chasm/melt stuff outside of the stocks screen) - I played that version for a while, and I wrote those tools to make it slightly more bearable.
This, too. It includes stuff like granite.exe which summons walls out of nowhere, which, while I was playing 2D just for the heck of it, I found really nice.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:49:43 pm »

I've been meaning to give the old 2D a go for ages but was slightly intimidated, but since you guys are pulling out all the utilities and suggestions i may just give it a go.
Edit: might be worthwhile looking up stuff on the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/23a:Starting_build
Includes some surprises such as "you will get more wagons for all the stuff you bring ....each wagon comes with one mule and one horse "
So a nice strategy would be to take lots of booze for more barrels, and eat your horses/mules \o/
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:55:56 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 06:37:15 pm »

ill have to try this.