Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Every single embark animal is gigantic in it's description  (Read 1511 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Every single embark animal is gigantic in it's description
« on: February 19, 2011, 12:09:20 pm »

Hello. I just started a new fort in 0.31.19 on a volcano bordering a piece of Goodly land. I was checking out the descriptions on the new animals, and I happened to notice that every single one of the animals I brought from the embark screen is described as being gigantic. I haven't tested this with another embark yet, but plan on doing so shortly. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed that their embark animals all share a similiar 'size' description. In mine, all the animals were described as Gigantic, although it seems the amount of musculature would change the syntax of the sentence, IE 'is gigantic, but not very muscular.' to 'Is muscular and generally gigantic.' Also, those were examples I just made up, although they are similar to what is in game.

Before I put it on the tracker, I'll re-embark a few times and see if it duplicates.

EDIT: The local Unicorn herd are all gigantic as well. The dwarves seem to be normal.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 12:11:55 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
Re: Every single embark animal is gigantic in it's description
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 12:12:04 pm »

Most of my birds are gigantic. Some are enormous but very skinny.
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 12:39:47 pm »

A group of yaks wandered through, and 5/6 were gigantic. The last one had no size description at all.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

alagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 01:05:00 pm »

Well, I believe it fit flawless into dwarf logic or sense, if any. I mean, they are dwarves afterall. Everything we deem normal or small suppose to be larger (well, gigantic unicorn in this case) in their point of view. LOL :P

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 01:45:40 pm »

I always thought it was natural selection; as time passes the bigger animals are more successful and therefore pass on their genes.

Can't remember where I heard that from though.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 02:19:30 pm »

I always thought it was natural selection; as time passes the bigger animals are more successful and therefore pass on their genes.

Um, yeah... right up until the point where there is some sort of food shortage and mass starvation ensues. Natural selections doesn't favor the biggest or, despite what a popular saying tells you, the fittest. It favors the best adapted/most adaptable.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 02:21:26 pm »

Um, yeah... right up until the point where there is some sort of food shortage and mass starvation ensues. Natural selections doesn't favor the biggest or, despite what a popular saying tells you, the fittest. It favors the best adapted/most adaptable.
In the real world, this is true.

In Dwarf Fortress, food is unlimited... even for predators.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:22:43 pm »

This is dorf forts though, not real life.  Since there's a limit amount of things being simulated size could easily be the thing that tips the balance and gets reproduced.

Yeah, what he said.
Shoes...

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »

Actually, food isn't TOTALLY unlimited for herd animals anymore.  You could theoretically, and crashingly, get enough livestock to starve themselves all to death.

My theory though is that Dwarves and Goblins just kill everything tiny they see, and unless they're trying to build a settlement, just leave it dead there.  Because a world where everything isn't gigantic is not a world worth living in.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.