Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf health screen curiosity  (Read 809 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Dwarf health screen curiosity
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:19:04 am »

Hi all,

This is further to my FB necrosis problems. I've observed something rather strange and wanted to hear if others had seen similar.

Five dwarves were afflicted by the deadly dust of an FB which left them with severe rotting flesh. They made it to the hospital, the rotten flesh was cleaned and surgically removed, despite them losing their eyes. Now two of them have recovered sufficiently to be walking around my fortress, blind. On their description screens they have a huge list of scars for their physical descriptions (understandably).

One of the dwarves, if I hit 'h'ealth from their 'z' status screen crashes the game, it seems. Anyone else finding that they can't view the diagnosis/treatment schedule of a given dwarf after a serious series of injuries like FB necrosis?

Edit: one further detail: all 5 dwarves have disappeared from Dwarf Therapist. They did so after they were first infected, even though they are still in the 'u'nits screen, can still be drafted, observed, etc... not sure if that makes any difference to comments...

Edit 2: sorry, being a moron about this - so long since I've posted my own query. 0.31.18, 12th year of the fortress.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:20:59 am by zooeyglass »

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Bobinater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf health screen curiosity
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 12:21:19 pm »

maybe they turned into zombies and are just pretending to be dwarfs wandering around the fortress... waiting to strike...

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 03:31:45 pm »

Probably due to some bug that dwarf didn't die when death conditions were met?
They had one such dwarf in Ardentdikes, probably he even was untreated at all. However being zombie didn't prevent him from burning down in magma.
Other than that, I believe you're the only one to participate for Urist Prize in medicine. You've got a whole five of them do some science.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:20:24 am »

Cheers both; strangely a RL friend said exactly the same: zombies. They have scarred tissue, are blind, two of them are walking around seemingly happily. Definitely time for some !!science!! and working out what is to be done. Moving the hospital under the magma chute might lead to some interesting results.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition