Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two mysterious deaths  (Read 427 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Two mysterious deaths
« on: February 19, 2011, 05:40:16 am »

As the title says, I have two mysterious deaths I would like figured out. If anyone has any ideas, please tell.
Both occurred in 0.31.14

1. Cethutha the forgotten beast
    In 1061 in the first layern cavern under Anvilwhirled a forgotten beast named Cethutha simply "died in the heat". I have found no indications of what happened, and the only two possible reasons I have found are:
   1.1 Another forgotten beast, a large flying blob of flame. I dont know if it could have killed it, as I dont kow whether or not they burn each other. It has no breath attack.
   1.2 It killed itself. Cethutha had a breath attack of sorts, which spread flames all over the place, although it would be awkward if it had killed itself.

I somehow doubt it died of magma, since it lived in the first layer of cavern.
(Note: I haven't searched the entire cavern yet, so I dont know what I can find down there. I haven't even found its body.)

2. The other death: Kadol Boltedcrested, a dwarf died in 1059. Here you'll need to remember I was playing with v. 0.31.14 at the time, so no ghastly kills back then I believe. Basically back in 1052 Stukos Confinedcudgels the weaver went berserk, killed three dwarves, until getting struck down by a miner. Still, according to legends, Stukos somehow killed someone seven years after his own death. How did this happen? Also, Stukos had been buried at the time.

Please, if any of you have any ideas, please tell me.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Two mysterious deaths
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:50:52 am »

2. How did Kadol die? I had a case once where a nameless Blind Cave ogre attacked my dwarves but failed to kill anyone and was instead killed. Years later when one of his/her victims died in a tantrum spiral the Ogre gained a name (normally nameless creatures gain names after killing your dwarves). Could be related.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 06:09:21 am »

Does this mean, in the most recent version, my rooster that bit a farmer will bet set as killing it when the farmer dies? XD
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 06:34:28 am »

I was never sure about the specifics. The blind ogre ripped the dwarf's arm off (being a dwarf, the victim happily went on with his life until the tantrum spiral) so maybe it has to do with the severity of the wound?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:26:29 am »

According to legends, "In the early summer of 1059, Stukos mortally wounded Kadol Boltedcrested, who bled to death in Anvilwhirled."

On Kadols it says: "In the early summer of 1059, Kadol bled to death, slain by Stukos Confinedcudgels in Anvilwhirled."

A long, painful process of bleeding to death  :o

As long as I can recall, he wasn't bleeding or anything, just doing what he had alway been doing. Suddenly he dies of bloodloss, caused by a battle that occurred 7 years earlier.

Hmm, apparently my miner managed to tear Stukos into three bits with his pick, nice going!  :)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o