Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Danger rooms, equipment, and leveling up  (Read 1454 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger rooms, equipment, and leveling up
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 08:40:01 am »

Mate... give in. XD

yeah...once it got down to the last 30 dwarves, they were all either tantruming in various parts of the fort, or were babbling insane...

I suppose I could have stuck it out to the bitter end, but that would have either meant 1) watching for hours more as the last of the dwarves died one by one or 2) waiting for the last few miserable dwarves to have their moods stabilize enough that they could spend the next 10 years cleaning up this crazy mess.

Next time...I think I'll make my military dwarves wear cloaks.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 09:37:55 am »

I have one question. Are you SURE you load those up right spike traps with wooden training spears?
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 10:31:08 am »

I have one question. Are you SURE you load those up right spike traps with wooden training spears?

Absolutely - 110%

It occurred to me that because I built my danger room and military a bit later than usual, about half of the spears where of nearly masterwork quality - usually I use training spears with little or no quality.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 10:52:36 am »

Learn your lesson : don't let your dwarves socialize. A friend is a potential source of sorrow, as is a wife or kids. Or separate the population in groups that never mix.

... No, I do not apply this lesson in real life. Although...
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 11:45:47 am »

For the record, an idle dwarf is an ecstatic dwarf.  I set up a patch of farmland and nothing else, to let my dwarves drink water and eat raw strawberries.  No beds, no shelter from rain, no tables, no NOTHING, and let them idle for a year or two while I left the game running in the background and ate some dinner.  I thought I had paused it, but, ah well.  When I got back, everyone had bad thoughts from lack of booze, chairs, beds, etc, but everyone was ECSTATIC and dwarf therapist showed everyone at 750+ happiness.

It would appear that one way to divert a tantrum spiral is to pause production and let everyone take five.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:57 pm »

It would appear that one way to divert a tantrum spiral is to pause production and let everyone take five.

*Gasp* Are you a dwarf or an elf?  >:(

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 06:11:14 pm »

I am simply someone who enjoys her forts remaining alive.  Considering that I've grown fond of playing with popcap:0, and I don't get any migrants above 20 (the first two waves happen anyways) keeping population alive is vital to me.  My dwarves are not replaceable.  Except the children.  They're easy to breed up.

Granted, if I have a sheriff who doesn't really care about anything, along with a few other untouchables, I'll let some of the tantrumers die and get that kill list boosted, unless it's like a legendary+5 armorsmith, or something important.  That lye maker migrant though?  Well, she's either breeding for me or hauling stone.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 09:06:19 pm »

So, to perhaps bring a close to the Original post, I did a bit more digging, and found this:

Check any solider that has been in the danger room and I assume they'll have damaged red parts on their status wound screen. This means they are broken beyond repair and are bleeding/open to infection. Most commonly the items listed in red are: anything of the face, upper arms. Any red part means you failed to gear your dwarf properly and the constant spear poking did some serious damage over time.

Helm - Protects head/skull
Cape - Protects face/ears/eyes/lips/etc
Chain Mail Shirt - Protects Upper body INCLUDING upper arms
Breastplate - Protects Upper body but NOT upper arms
Gauntlets - Protects hands/fingers/etc
Greaves - Protects legs
High Boots - Protects feet.

If you make a dwarf wear all of these with replace clothing. They can train to legendary status in weapons, fighter, dodger, armour user, shield user, etc in about 10 mins. That is if you micromanage what they hold. Just weapon > just shield > nothing, will allow them to get legendary weapon, shield, dodge. Do it in any other order and dodge will level too fast and prevent your dwarves from parrying with the weapon.

The dwarf will be perfectly healthy, every body part in white. I've done this with 20 dwarves so far. Only seem them kill a single goblin and they ripped it apart in about 1 frame. Legendary <Weapon>/Dodger/Fighter/Shield User/Armor User dwarves are scary things.

So I suppose that if I:
1) armor properly and FULLY
2) use no-quality training spears
3) use no-quality mechanisms (?)
Perhaps this tragedy can be prevented in the next fort. My one concern is that I don't like clothing my dwarves (they leave their rags everywhere), and so I'll have to be careful in my production and assignment of cloaks to prevent any "ragsplosions" like I usually get when producing new clothes or armoring up dwarves. Yes, I know that cabinets are supposed to fix that...but they don't, for some reason.
Pages: 1 [2]