Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: bookkeper not.........bookkeping  (Read 5953 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: bookkeper not.........bookkeping
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 08:14:25 pm »

Why would there even BE a "No Accuracy" setting?

There isn't one.  There is either some tidbit of information we don't know about the situation, or the bookkeeper hasn't actually been assigned the office yet.

Or, I suppose, the bookkeeper has been assigned it but has been too busy with other jobs to commence work.  I don't recall if you get the stocks screen immediately upon assignment, or if you have to give the bookkeeper some spare time first.

--Rexfelum

Nnnoo...  There is a "lowest accuracy" setting.  You can only see exact numbers if they're below 10, I think.  And if he hasn't done any work on a higher setting yet.  And you might want to set it to that if you want your Bookkeeper to stop counting and do other things; like if you stupidly made your only brewer the bookkeeper.  Which is totally something I"ve never ever once done.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 09:46:12 pm »

Why would there even BE a "No Accuracy" setting?

There isn't one.  There is either some tidbit of information we don't know about the situation, or the bookkeeper hasn't actually been assigned the office yet.

Or, I suppose, the bookkeeper has been assigned it but has been too busy with other jobs to commence work.  I don't recall if you get the stocks screen immediately upon assignment, or if you have to give the bookkeeper some spare time first.

Nnnoo...  There is a "lowest accuracy" setting.  You can only see exact numbers if they're below 10, I think.  And if he hasn't done any work on a higher setting yet.  And you might want to set it to that if you want your Bookkeeper to stop counting and do other things; like if you stupidly made your only brewer the bookkeeper.  Which is totally something I"ve never ever once done.

Of course.  But what I said was that there is no such thing as a "no accuracy" setting.  People were saying that a bookkeeper would actually do nothing by default; to translate into game terms, that you wouldn't even get numbers below 10.

--Rexfelum

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 10:31:07 pm »

Of course.  But what I said was that there is no such thing as a "no accuracy" setting.  People were saying that a bookkeeper would actually do nothing by default; to translate into game terms, that you wouldn't even get numbers below 10.

--Rexfelum

But that is what will actually happen if you don't manually change the Bookkeper's settings away from Lowest Accuracy. 
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2011, 01:11:44 pm »

But that is what will actually happen if you don't manually change the Bookkeper's settings away from Lowest Accuracy.

Hmm . . .

No, I just checked.  I went back to an initial save I made while paused on day 1 of my most recent fortress.  The bookkeeper has literally done nothing, and my stocks menu accurately gives counts below 10.

--Rexfelum

Edited P.S.: And besides, the description in-game for precision levels implies that Lowest Precision gives such counts:

Code: [Select]
Lowest Precision: 77 -> 80    777 -> 800    7777 -> 8000   77777 -> 80000
Low Precision:    77 -> 77    777 -> 780    7777 -> 7800   77777 -> 78000
Et cetera

We would have to presume there is some bizarre jump at the low end for it to ignore single-digit precision, which would just be a misleading thing to say to the player.  We would also have to invent some terminology for the stocks screen to display single-digit uncertainty.  Double-digit is easy: "20?" and "70?" work fine.  Single-digit?  What would you type on the screen?  "0?" perhaps?  This does not exist in the game.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 01:19:48 pm by Rexfelum »

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »

Hmm . . .

No, I just checked.  I went back to an initial save I made while paused on day 1 of my most recent fortress.  The bookkeeper has literally done nothing, and my stocks menu accurately gives counts below 10.

--Rexfelum

Edited P.S.: And besides, the description in-game for precision levels implies that Lowest Precision gives such counts:

Code: [Select]
Lowest Precision: 77 -> 80    777 -> 800    7777 -> 8000   77777 -> 80000
Low Precision:    77 -> 77    777 -> 780    7777 -> 7800   77777 -> 78000
Et cetera

We would have to presume there is some bizarre jump at the low end for it to ignore single-digit precision, which would just be a misleading thing to say to the player.  We would also have to invent some terminology for the stocks screen to display single-digit uncertainty.  Double-digit is easy: "20?" and "70?" work fine.  Single-digit?  What would you type on the screen?  "0?" perhaps?  This does not exist in the game.

But, no, that's exactly what I was saying happens when you assign a bookkeeper and don't change the default accuracy away from "Lowest precision."  I have no idea why we think we're disagreeing anymore.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 04:46:50 pm »

I have no idea why we think we're disagreeing anymore.

This is an excellent state to maintain.  If only more people in the world could become unclear on why they think they disagree.  I hope we have learned something today.

--Rexfelum

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 01:14:26 am »

I just figure that the dwarves have communication holes all through the fort, and the bookkeeper sits down and has people take turns yelling what they find while he writes it all down on stone.

That's time consuming, but more efficient than going around counting!  It'd take months to figure out how many individual types of crafts I have, after all!
Pages: 1 [2]