Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cinnabar  (Read 1002 times)

Eroing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cinnabar
« on: February 18, 2011, 04:34:50 am »

It seems to have been slightly suggested before. But since cinnabar is quite toxic and dusting maybe it should at least make a cloud similar to miasma that will have longterm damage if you spend too much time in it.

And also, of course.. mercury.. since cinnabar is the main source of mercury in our world, maybe this should be implemented aswell? Give us some thermometers, my dwarves doesn't know what to wear! ^_^

Edit: this would probably need a stop-screen like when you strike adamantine so you don't accidentally mine out a huge portion of cinnabar without realizing it..
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 04:46:03 am by Eroing »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Cinnabar
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:58:48 am »

Hello Eroing, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Max White. I'm that guy that runs around the suggestions forum, directing people towards the modders forum. Did you know that our around the clock modders are willing to take requests any time that suits you them? Something like this is not only possible, and easy, but something similar has been done for coal giving off dust that can kill miners. Mercury is also a simple problem, and several mods already include this. So, you could either keep praying to the mighty Toady one, and have your suggestion added to a rather long list, or you can go ask the modders, and have your dwarfs dying from quick silver faster then you think.

Eroing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 05:04:55 am »

Did you know that our around the clock modders are willing to take requests any time that suits you them?

No, I did not! :)

not sure what I expect mercury to do.. just thought it might be a nice suggestion..
on the matter of Toady, he seems to be busy with animals now and I'm guessing he doesn't plan on going into these matters at the moment..

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 05:08:53 am »

Well, we can make it melt at -38.86 degrees, making it a liquid to all but the most willing players, and give it sydromes similar to mercury poisening to everybody else. For those willing to go to the levels required to make it a solid, we can give it a high value, so you can sell mercury goblets to elves, only to have it melt when they leave your cool rooms, and killing the elves as they walk away with liquid gobs of poisen.

Eroing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 05:10:19 am »

Now that's just evil! But.. it's elves.. so I guess it fits into the DF way of life.. :P

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 02:17:47 pm »

I wonder why mercury isn't in the vanilla game though. They had it during the time period.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 01:13:15 am »

I wonder why mercury isn't in the vanilla game though. They had it during the time period.

1. There's no use for it right now.
2. It melts below room temperature.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Eroing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 09:40:34 am »

Yeah.. I guess the toxicity is more fun the the actual use of the material in question.. ^_^

You would still have to extract the mercury from the cinnabar.. which on the other hand shouldn't be too hard.. it's just something like.. heating it up? to separate the mercury and the sulfur dioxide(which is ALSO quite toxic:P)

Another use for cinnabar could be grinding it into a dust and make a dye out of it.. dye your swords with a nice mercury - sulfur dioxide blend! ^_^