Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Viewing site data *after* embark  (Read 441 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Viewing site data *after* embark
« on: February 17, 2011, 12:53:55 pm »

A small thing, relatively speaking, but I think it'd be good if you could view the data you get pre-embark, once the game has started. I'd like to check the name of the river or mountain I embarked next to for example. And the layer data. And similarly there should be a way to see the english and dwarven names of the embark team (yes, i'm forgetful).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing site data *after* embark
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:04 pm »

Actually, Legends data is more generally useful.  Look up the name of your king/queen, and see who the heck they are, and what they've done with their lives now that your fort is far enough along to actually consider inviting the monarch to make your fort a mountainhome.

This can be worked around with either backing up your save and abandoning the fort, or backing up your save before you embark in the first place.

An in-game feature would be nice, but Toady has said before that he doesn't really like the idea.  He said something about already not liking Legends Mode, since it lets you just look up history, instead of having to "discover it" by waiting for your dwarf to carve some random, meaningless historic event into the walls.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Viewing site data *after* embark
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:20:46 pm »

An in-game feature would be nice, but Toady has said before that he doesn't really like the idea.  He said something about already not liking Legends Mode, since it lets you just look up history, instead of having to "discover it" by waiting for your dwarf to carve some random, meaningless historic event into the walls.

What does that have to do with this? At all?

He's just talking about being able to see the pre-embark data. You know, like what biome you're in, the name of the forest you're inhabiting, that kind of stuff. Nothing to do with Legends.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==