Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So, with this new update metals are really rare.  (Read 3408 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Re: So, with this new update metals are really rare.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2011, 04:44:00 pm »

I think at the end of the day we're still a good bit ahead of the voodoo knowledge that was required just to hope that you'd even have a metals industry in 40d. While the new region selection system doesn't tell you exactly what kind of stone you can expect it does tell you what kind of economy you can expect. You can search for metal(s), flux, aquifers, clay, and so on, and sand is still very, very common.

Now, at the moment it does stifle a certain kind of fort, but ideally once caravans are up and running we'll have
A) something worthwhile to dump crafts into after the second year
B) badass fortresses more an indication of good play rather than just good/lucky embarking

Sarudak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2011, 07:24:34 pm »

At least now we always have magma.  ;)

Yeah, but it's still hundreds of levels underground. Not like the old days.

Lets be fair though, if you wanted magma in the old days (pre 2010) you were seriously limited in your embark choices, now granted if you did have it it was easy(ish) to find but now you can have magma on any embark, but you may have to drill down... Now I'd like for magma tubes to be put back in (so you had a choice between digging super far down or embarking on a volcano) but this is far more convenient then previous versions in terms of magma.

Magma tubes are in. Often they reach up to the third cavern. (I've never seen any higher) They are just rare and there's no way to tell if you have one on embark.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2011, 11:06:04 pm »

tell me if this is good:

casserite (tin ore)
clay
sand
bees
flux
embark with iron anvil
magma vent that extends up to the 2nd cavern
river
aquifer
shallow metal (how does this work?)
deep metal

theres probably some iron down there i only dug one shaft down to the magma sea.
LOSING IS FUN!

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:39 pm »

Magma tubes are in. Often they reach up to the third cavern. (I've never seen any higher) They are just rare and there's no way to tell if you have one on embark.

I've seen them in the second and first cavern layer as well. In fact if I find them at all they are usually in the second cavern. I wish I had some way to prove this but meh, they aren't that common anyways.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2011, 12:04:22 am »

tell me if this is good:

casserite (tin ore)
clay
sand
bees
flux
embark with iron anvil
magma vent that extends up to the 2nd cavern
river
aquifer
shallow metal (how does this work?)
deep metal

theres probably some iron down there i only dug one shaft down to the magma sea.

Shallow metal gives you a single ore type close to the surface. Deep metal gives you a single ore deep underground. If you want more choose a site that says "shallow metalS". Then you'll get another ore type. Really the metals are random or at least currently unperdictable.

Tin is not a weapon metal but good for basic goods. The clay is a good substitue for stone but I dont know if it is magam safe. If you find a layer or iron then you're set with that magma vent.
One a large map you normally find at least one magma vent. I've normally seen them next to volcanos.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 12:09:56 am »

Tin can also be used to glaze crafts now, so clay crafts + tin glaze can be used to buy you some steel bars, or buy some copper to do some bronze.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 12:53:32 am »

Another problem with magma in 40d was that most of the time the only metal you'd find around it was copper. At least now my tiny hematite veins can be put to use without deforesting the whole place every couple of years.

Ideally metal veins would be larger though. I still hope for the day when a fortress can be an iron mine, as in it subsists entirely off selling iron bars to the neighbours.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 05:51:12 am »

I gotta admit. When I instanty went to a glacier territory and started digging downwards into caverns ( Because I felt like it. )

I shat bricks when I saw no YOU'VE STRUCK ( Insert 9001 different ores/gems here. )

In fact I had nothing. N-othing.

Now I'm cool with the bees and clay and that sorta useless stuff, not for me and all, I'm a millitary type guy when it comes to my playstyle. But two maps so far; no metal. Now I know there's alot of people here who like a good challenge, but with every update DF has been getting more and more complex.

In my opinion the whole "This is DF it's MEANT to be difficult!" elitism is really getting stupid. I mean I struggled for a month back in 40d, when I started playing. But now that minerals are scarce, bogeymen, that hospital equipment is necessary, that you need tons of stuff now...I'm really starting to wonder how a new player would handle all this.

I could accept the bogeymen in adventure mode, maybe accept the horrible hospital system which further made millitary pointless in comparison to traps, but seriously, taking away almost all the metals? Making even less good spots? That's f'ing crazy. I don't want to scan a huge map for ages just to have a workable fort.

EDIT:

The best way to put it: Dwarves mine for treasure and riches, but wood is more common in caves than copper. What riches?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 06:17:06 am by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

spook54321

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 11:38:56 am »

The best way to put it: Dwarves mine for treasure and riches, but wood is more common in caves than copper. What riches?

thats why they are riches :)
It's the same reason why sharks don't attack lawyers, professional courtesy.

This (small) sig of mine
Pages: 1 [2]