Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with gobs of candy? (Spoilers)  (Read 2830 times)

ThrowerOfStones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Alea Iacta Est
What to do with gobs of candy? (Spoilers)
« on: March 20, 2011, 11:12:21 am »

Okay, so I recently installed Fortress Defense Mod II and after genning two or three worlds to get one where I still had access to both elves and humans I embarked on a half terrifying forest half untamed wilds badlands next to a terrifying ocean embark that claimed to have multiple shallow and deep metals. Lo and behold, it turns out the shallow metals are gold and kaolinite and the deep metals are galena and microcline, it seems. Oh well, whatever, I say, I'll make due. Silver weapons and leather armor, until I hit candy, and then candy for as many people as I can!

Near the end of the first season, I hit the Magma sea and begin setting up my forges. As is typical, revealing the sea reveals the first vein of adamantine. Instead of going for it, though, I begin digging out a tree farm, since I've walled myself off from the surface temporarily until I have a working military.

Come fall, I get a notification of a cave in and another discovery of adamantine notification. In the second cavern (z level 10 or so) (which mysteriously is full of "grass", not cave fungus), something ??? has fallen. It's not clear what. What is clear is some sort of lake is draining into the cavern, because it is full of waterlogged trees. In any case, it seems the cavern has a pillar of adamantine reaching into it. I'm not initially perturbed by this, even though it is a good 35 z levels above the magma sea.

About this time I decide I might as well mine out some candy, and head over. Being a dirty cheater I am, I savescum it. I dig towards it at about Z level 0, which is just below the third cavern, figuring I'll be safe there. Turns out, I hit the tube.

For future reference, I look at the tube, and see it stretches to around Z level 20. "Man, that's a high tube," I think. I reload and try again at Z level 20.

Turns out z level 20 was just the limit of my vision. A few more savescums later, and it becomes clear that the tube to hell goes all the way to Z level 43.

So finally, at Z level 44, I begin digging out the adamantine. I've curently only dug out three levels fully, but my staircase in it makes it clear it stretches to at least z level 76.

Moreover, this whole time random unknown cave ins in the cavern have revealed three other tubes, all of which stretch to the 2nd cavern (and thus possibly as high as this tube!).

It seems I may have come to the promised land. Admittedly, no adamantine elevator to the sky, but so much adamantine you can do whatever you want with it, and no reduced FPS! Aside from the occasional (maybe once every season or so?) cave ins in the caverns. I'm guessing this might be from some sort of floating mud bug caused by the draining into the cavern.

Anyways, so, normally I wouldn't make any candy weapons or armor until I have a legendary dude, but with no other good options at this embark and with so much candy, I'm thinking I might break that rule. It also seems prudent to just start making furniture. Or hell, roads and walls! Maybe an adamantine tower to the sky?
The dead do not respond to context.
Pencil and Paper Blog Ahoy!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with gobs of candy? (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 11:26:55 am »

Prospect it, see how much you've actually got.  Then make a few bars, and wait for a mood.  Get legendary armor/weapon, spam weapons, profit HARD!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 11:36:16 am »

Now you know why all my worlds have [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:100].
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:41:57 am »

Make a masterful rendition of your civ's king/queen out of adamantine. Or a rendition of your first mayor or something.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:42:15 pm »

Personally I think you should just make lots of adamantine backpacks, and get all of your dwarves' body parts slashed open then stitch them closed again with adamantine thread sutures.

Doradan

• Bay Watcher
  • FOR !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 03:04:23 pm »

Phase 1: Dig out adamantine
Phase 2: ?
Phase 3: Profit

Just like always.
CHIMPANZEES ARE FUCKING VICIOUS. I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. BEWARE THE CHIMPS, THEY SEEK ONLY TO DESTROY.
Doradan cancels Craft Signature: Interrupted by Buzzard

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 03:47:56 pm »

have 3 or 4 useless dwarves who haven't had moods yet start making silver warhammers and spears and start putting them into dodge and spike traps around your future entrance. you'll almost certianly have one mood before your entrances are secure enough to hold off the non trap avoiding enemies you'll be facing. 
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:00 pm »

have 3 or 4 useless dwarves who haven't had moods yet start making silver warhammers and spears and start putting them into dodge and spike traps around your future entrance.

I'm not sure about the silver spear personally. Silver warhammers yes, probably the best use for silver apart from furniture, but silver spears...

Oh and *large serrated silver discs* are excellent trade goods if you have a volcano in your embark.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 05:51:32 pm »

The thing is, there's spare silver laying about, right?  So make silver weapons until you get a mood and then addy weapons.  Hammers aren't lethal unless they manage to jam the skull into the brain!  So, back up the hammers with some spears, and you can do some damage at least.  When you get a mood, swap to addy spears or axes.

Also, why do you need a volcano to trade silver?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 06:07:24 pm »

Because it's not as profitable/efficient otherwise, since there's likely to be other, more valuable/useful metals you could smelt?
くコ:彡

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 06:25:30 pm »

If you want a weaponsmith make bolts instead. You're going to use the bolts up anyways, so may as well get some practice out of the bolts. You can never have too many bolts in your ammo stockpiles.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 08:27:14 pm »

You don't need iron or copper for weapons: Silver bolts are among the best, silver war hammers are the finest can openers you can make, obsidian short swords cover the other extreme (deadly but poor against armour).
Bone is a perfectly acceptable armour material for everything you can make of it (the selection seems rather arbitrary) so just a few metal imports can give you a fully functional military.

RTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 08:30:29 pm »

I don't worry about smelting. I have so much goblin crap that I get from the yearly sieges I just ask the dwarven caravan to bring armor. I usually have more then enough to barter for steel, or at least bismuth.

Even so, I prefer to let my traps do the killing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:49:19 pm »

I actually just ask for flux from caravans.  Smelt the goblinite, turn iron into steel, make steel gear.  Flux is cheaper than armor, and you can get nice masterwork gear if you've got the crafter for it.