Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Biomes Change?  (Read 1204 times)

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
Biomes Change?
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:05:57 am »

So, I embarked on a map with no sand.  No sand layer and no visible sand at all, I am POSITIVE of it.  It also had quite a lot of grass.  It was a trio of savage grasslands, good grasslands, and pretty normal mountains.

After some time of grazing, I noticed that the grasslands in the pasture were running out of grass, and it wasn't growing back.  Then, I began seeing patches of yellow sand appear, and not just in the pasture!  But also placed i'd dug out silty clay loam earlier-  it's become sand now!  Around this time, buzzards began appearing for the first time.  The oddities of sand and vulture began in the middle of the 5th year.

Is this a new feature or a wierd bug?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Biomes Change?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 01:17:19 am »

I've encountered this same soil change. On a mountain, I deleted a few slopes on a grass covered mountain and lo and behold, clay gold mine.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 02:44:55 am »

this can happen without grazing as well.
just from my dwarves walking back and forth from the cart to the fort entrance, i've seen them turn grass into sand.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 02:47:37 am »

So that lush forest you embarked in could soon become a desert if you hack at enough trees and keep enough animals. Likewise, though irrigation it might be possible to turn badlands into woodlands. I'm not sure, who knows.

I should test to see if adding [EVIL] to your dwarfs, or have them use evil animals, turns the biome evil. Good too, if there is time.