Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A haunted ocean!?!?  (Read 4943 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A haunted ocean!?!?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 01:46:06 pm »

Remember, skeletal sharks might just be floating shark jaws, since that's the only bony part in a shark body. . .

I assume there's some sort of ectoplasmic force behind them. Either that, or they somehow skitter along the ground.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »

Remember, skeletal sharks might just be floating shark jaws, since that's the only bony part in a shark body. . .

I assume there's some sort of ectoplasmic force behind them. Either that, or they somehow skitter along the ground.

I'd forgotten sharks are cartilaginous fish.  Strictly speaking, even their jaws aren't really bone.  That leaves one with the mental image of a co-ordinated mouthful of teeth racing over the landscape like some kind of hornet swarm made of calcium.  Now, there's a scary thought.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 03:02:07 pm »

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 03:54:27 pm »

eh but it still funny becuase the entire ocean looks like it has oil in it but there are serene forrest calling my name

Ah cmon, embark near the ocean, don't be a pussy.
Amork want it and you know it!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 06:12:08 pm »

What amazed me was how skeletal sharks moved on solid ground.  I suppose that dead water animals don't need to breathe and therefore won't suffocate on land, but they aren't exactly configured for land movement.  At best they ought to flop along like a landed fish, but they still moved with the speed of sharks.   :o

Maybe some evil god gave them legs, Gyo-style.

Because, I mean, how does a completely skeletal fish FLOP, exactly, without muscles?
How does a skeletal ANYTHING move AT ALL?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:35 pm »

I have no idea. Instead, here's a glimpse of what you'll get if you embark on a terrifying ocean biome:

[PREFSTRING:horrifying freakish appearance][BODY:BASIC_2PARTBODY:BASIC_HEAD:UPPERBODY_PINCERS:REAR_BODY_FLIPPERS:TAIL:SIX_TENTACLES:2EYESTALKS:4EYES:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[BODY_SIZE:0:0:8000000]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:05 pm »

I'd forgotten sharks are cartilaginous fish.  Strictly speaking, even their jaws aren't really bone.  That leaves one with the mental image of a co-ordinated mouthful of teeth racing over the landscape like some kind of hornet swarm made of calcium.  Now, there's a scary thought.
I don't think a skeleton has to be made of bone. Even an ant's carapace is called exoskeleton and it is certainly not bone. :P
Memento Mori

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 09:30:22 pm »

DF skeletons are held together and moved by a network of minimalistic rotten muscles that inexplicably still work.  I remember Toady saying this in the devlog a while ago- apparently the system got too realistic for skeletons to be simply handwaved through  :P
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2011, 01:45:52 am »

Evil oceans are some of the funniest embarks I've ever had. Zombie whales flying out of the water at lightspeed, crashing into a Dwarf and sending some of his limbs flying halfway across the map made me fall out of my chair in laughter.

Apparently I missed all the Fun at my evil ocean embarks. I guess I'll try some more since I always ocean embark anyways.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: 1 [2]