Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Comic On CraftDwarves.  (Read 2137 times)

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Comic On CraftDwarves.
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 08:16:57 am »

Glass violin: http://www.javys.com/hario/violin_pic/glass_violin.jpg

Playable, and actually doesn't sound so awful.

(I've modded violins into my game as well. Someday someone is inevitably going to make an artifact one out of cat bone.)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 03:12:26 pm »

Not to be pedantic, but a granite boat can and will float if constructed properly. Remember your basic buoyancy, kids. If the boat is mostly hollow it will displace a greater volume than its granite material occupies. Thusly, it will float.

As for musical instruments made of stone, an ocarina can be carefully carved from stone and will sound just fine. Though different stone types will produce slightly different resonance and 'flavor' for the sound.

The boat was probably solid. Rock instruments do exist, I agree. But most aren't solid rock with nothing else... Besides, do dwarves even know HOW to play instruments?
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 04:15:58 pm »

Not to be pedantic, but a granite boat can and will float if constructed properly. Remember your basic buoyancy, kids. If the boat is mostly hollow it will displace a greater volume than its granite material occupies. Thusly, it will float.

As for musical instruments made of stone, an ocarina can be carefully carved from stone and will sound just fine. Though different stone types will produce slightly different resonance and 'flavor' for the sound.

The boat was probably solid. Rock instruments do exist, I agree. But most aren't solid rock with nothing else... Besides, do dwarves even know HOW to play instruments?
depending on your mods yes or no
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »

Metal boats float, don't they. It's the same principle with stone toy boats.

And I don't see how stone instruments wouldn't work either. With string instruments I think only the frame itself is made out of stone. And with flutes and stuff, so? It still has the holes and such! Same principle as a metal instrument, just a little less shiny.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:08:40 pm »

And I don't see how stone instruments wouldn't work either. With string instruments I think only the frame itself is made out of stone. And with flutes and stuff, so? It still has the holes and such! Same principle as a metal instrument, just a little less shiny.
They do. But I mean, unskilled craft dwarves, I imagine, craft a solid boat. Or a solid instrument, and that was funny to me.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 06:19:09 pm »

They do. But I mean, unskilled craft dwarves, I imagine, craft a solid boat. Or a solid instrument, and that was funny to me.

Aah right. Yeah, I can see that.

"Urist, what is this?"

"It's a viola Kivish, what does it look like? A good one too, made of Obsidian and everything!"

"Well, yes, but the strings-"

"Aye, what of them?"

"They're made of Obsidian as well..."

"Aye. What's your point?"
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:26 pm »

Aah right. Yeah, I can see that.

"Urist, what is this?"

"It's a viola Kivish, what does it look like? A good one too, made of Obsidian and everything!"

"Well, yes, but the strings-"

"Aye, what of them?"

"They're made of Obsidian as well..."

"Aye. What's your point?"
Exactly!!

Psychobones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 12:38:45 pm »

I find it hard to believe dwarves who haven't discovered ways to destroy an enemy boat(gunpowder driven weapons), would be interested at all in technology that allows for ships to be resistant to that kind of technology. Plus, it took us a few thousand years to discover it anyway!
Pages: 1 [2]