Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital Stocking  (Read 1587 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Hospital Stocking
« on: February 13, 2011, 01:01:47 am »

Will weavers respect the hospital?  If I assign "make rope" on repeat, will they deplete the hospital of cloth?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hospital Stocking
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 01:36:37 am »

Girlinhat, once you reserve cloth for the hospital, no one will take it, even if its stored in other stockpiles. Even if the hospital has no coffers to store it, its still reserved. Which leads to the soap bug. Since you have soap reserved for the hospital, with not enough coffers to store it there, its still reserved, which gives you the Cancel Clean spam. In reverse, if you have loads of cloth reserved, and the rope makers cannot get any more non reserved cloth, will give a message stating cannot follow order. Not enough cloth, or whatever. You are smart, can decipher my terminology, lol
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 02:04:56 am »

That's fine.  I was worried that I'd have to ration my textiles industry, but as long as it'll keep hospital stocks I can easily overproduce silk.  After all, I'm currently the proud owner of a breeding pair of GCS :D

Mkombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 02:19:41 am »

I have a bug right now where a child dwarf keeps trying to use the hospital soap (well that and every other soap he can find), but he can't. Says he can't clean self because the area is inaccessible.. weird.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 02:27:46 am »

I don't bother with soap, meh.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:44:05 am »

I wouldn't either but since dwarfs don't need light and don't burn tallow, if you don't make soap you end up with tons of useless tallow barrels.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:53:15 am »

I wouldn't either but since dwarfs don't need light and don't burn tallow, if you don't make soap you end up with tons of useless tallow barrels.

you can always cook it...

...but back on topic, I was unaware that unstocked material could still be "reserved." I've been currently trying to decide whether or not to simply have stockpiles in the hospital instead of actual containers, but with this in mind, I'm wondering if containers might not be better...
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 08:32:33 am »

I've found that using containers is superior to trying to mess with stockpiles. It seems that containers will be loaded much more intelligently. Just use 10-20 stone coffers in the hospital zone and that will do the trick.

Rover963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 08:34:15 am »

I have a bug right now where a child dwarf keeps trying to use the hospital soap (well that and every other soap he can find), but he can't. Says he can't clean self because the area is inaccessible.. weird.

Great fix to for this is make a channel before any "hotspot" that dwarves hang out in, then fill it with at most 3/7 water. Basically forces every dwarf to take a dip before getting somewhere. This washes them off and stops that dreaded spam.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:28 am »

The dorfbath, yes, making a channel, usually outside the dining hall, to wash everyone, then preferably using DFHack to clean it and preserve some FPS.  This can be done easily by digging a channel directly outside your dining hall door, and designating it a pond.  It'll fill up to 6/7, at which point you remove the zone, and channel out the two neighboring tiles, which should be diagonal to the door.  This creates a perfect 2/7 bathtub that everyone eventually walks through.

On topic: I've noticed a lot of junk in my hospital.  Like thread and cloth left laying on the beds, refusing to be placed back in the containers.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:25 pm »

I think that's when an injured Bomreck sees a really drunk novice surgeon getting ready to operate on him, and flees the hospital.
 Rover, just store all soap in the hospital. Will take care of the cancel Clean spam messages. i think the coding is for dirty dwarves(heavens forbid) to get the soap from the hospital, not stockpiles.
 Always store some thread, cloth, and splints in the hospital. you don't want to give the lazy doctors a chance to go travel to a far off stockpile, then get into a party mood.(I am sure the DMA, dwarven medical association, will cry foul)
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:23:16 pm »

I'm also now carefully guarding my adamantine strands, which are considered cloth and are eligible for sutures.  They're on their way to becoming wafer, but that in-between phase still worries me >.>

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 10:30:10 pm »

If you are using lots of thread in the hospital, that's a good sign you are having problems. Just forbid the adamantine thread, lock up the fort, when the hospital is empty, wafer them like the goats of Armok were after you
Sincerely,
The Administration

shmelse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:25:31 pm »

All i can think about when i see this thread title is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:50:21 am by shmelse »
"Aye, th' fortress o' Barbedgear. They say th'r was a dinin' room dere...o' such splendor tha' it'd reduce ye te tears! Masterful engravings lined th' walls! Th' food was endless!"

"An' th' tables?"

"Oh, those fuckin' TABLES...*weeps gently into beard*"

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 12:03:16 am »

The dorfbath, yes, making a channel, usually outside the dining hall, to wash everyone, then preferably using DFHack to clean it and preserve some FPS.  This can be done easily by digging a channel directly outside your dining hall door, and designating it a pond.  It'll fill up to 6/7, at which point you remove the zone, and channel out the two neighboring tiles, which should be diagonal to the door.  This creates a perfect 2/7 bathtub that everyone eventually walks through.
A much dwarfier alternative to DFHack is to periodically drain the footbath, dumping the contaminants into the farms or the great magma sea. If you're feeling especially vindictive you can even use it as the basis for a drowning trap.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!