Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Melting large amounts of ice  (Read 708 times)

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Melting large amounts of ice
« on: February 13, 2011, 09:02:27 am »

I'm trying to melt enough ice that I can use the resulting water to fill a cistern. This isn't going so well.

Basically I've embarked on a glacier with a volcano. I channeled into the side of the volcano and set up a floodgate so I could dump lava on the layer of ice below, but it seems like I only manage to get a few disconnected tiles of water here and there.

Then I try to tunnel into a water tile and Urist McMiner manages to get himself encased in ice somehow. I try to channel out more lava and a wall of ice freezes up behind the next miner, causing him to be trapped and encased in cooling lava. I use the resulting cavity as a statue casting mold and trade the statues to the next caravan in exchange for some new picks and some drink just before the remaining 5 dorfs die of thirst.

Is there some sort of technique for channeling the lava such that it will melt large amounts of ice? At least I managed to get enough water to set up a small farm plot.

Neopolis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Melting large amounts of ice
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 09:04:38 am »

Ice is currently pretty glitched. If you channel out an ice tile, it will have Open Space above it, somehow. Any dwarf that falls in it will be encased in ice and die instanly. Huge pain in the ass.

Dunno about the answer to your question, but that explains how Urist McMiner died.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

The only method i find that works is to drop the ice onto a cistern of constructed floor and walls, it melts when it lands.
You need to drop it a few zlevels
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:44:10 am »

This is no longer true for DF2010, I embarked on a glacier with the intent of dropping ice and profiting with a farm, but ice will only melt inside it seems, and only a wall will melt usefully.  An ice boulder leaves behind a puddle that's consider dirt and not farmable.  I dug down to the stone layer, then a flat area, and then channeled out a hollow column so that the ice would fall.  It did, and remained solid, except that somehow a bit of it splashed over into the underground section and made mud, but that wasn't enough to save the expedition.

It may or may not be possible to successfully do this if you manage to keep the upper-most level intact, so that it remains "subterranean" and the ice falls underground.

Also, caverns have water ;)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:51:30 am »

I dropped some ice about a week ago and it worked fine *shrug*
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:08:44 am »

As always, the answer is magma.

(reads post)

As always, the answer is more magma.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:18:39 am »

Don't put magma on the ice, run magma under the ice!  I used that method to melt a large amount of ice in version 31.14 or 16 or something.  Not sure if there's any bugs in .18 with the method.
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:39:45 pm »

Thanks! Magma under the ice worked perfectly