Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two small storied of death and dismay  (Read 900 times)

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Two small storied of death and dismay
« on: February 12, 2011, 01:57:24 pm »

First one:

Announcment pop: A giant is coming to the fortress! The nickname of the Giant (Giantess to be precise) is something like "the grace of robustness". Weird.
Well I expect a tough cookie, so I muster the army (around 10 very unlucky dorfes) and station them near the drawbridge, after the trapped corridor (not so much trapped, around 5 traps).
I lower the drawbridge to lure the monster in, soft her with traps then hack her with the soldiers.
Giantess come in, stone trap trigger and hit her in the head. The skull crack and the giantess die. To much for robustness...
The now lucky soliders are relieved with little satisfaction...

Second one:

Goblin siege. I recract the bridge as usual and station some marksdorft to soft the gobbos up a bit. They shoot poorly and do little. I decide to retreat the squad, lure the gobbos on the traps to soft them and then attack them. As soon as the bridge is extended the marksdorf militia captain rush out to clobber the gobbos with his crossbow. Of course he die horribly. So I rush out my soldiers that fight with the gobbos with some casualties. Then my bloody militia captain in full plate mail go back to the station post and manage somehow to trigger the stonefall trap. The stone crack his skull and he's good as dead. He was a legendary fighter. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Bottom line: stonefalls traps... bloody deadly!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Two small storied of death and dismay
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 02:02:34 pm »

Strange, I've heard that they're underpowered.  Perhaps it depends on the type of stone?  I would assume a platinum nugget falling would do more damage than raw adamantine...

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 02:05:55 pm »

Strange, I've heard that they're underpowered.  Perhaps it depends on the type of stone?  I would assume a platinum nugget falling would do more damage than raw adamantine...

I don't know. It was a simple microline stone. That killed a semi megabeast!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 02:10:02 pm »

Fancy!  I might need to use some of those, especially with their low production cost.  A single stone and a single mechanism.  It'll be more fun with multi-tile traps are built.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 09:32:04 pm »

If he triggered a stone fall trap, he must have fallen unconscious.  Attacks against passed-out opponents strike for the skull.  I think they are pretty undeadly normally.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 11:12:03 pm »

Stone-fall traps weren't all that lethal in 40d either, at least versus armour. They are however quite good for forcing your opponent to dodge onto a pressure plate, or off a narrow bridge.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!