Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a way to limit the number of migrants per wave?  (Read 691 times)

Keejus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Is there a way to limit the number of migrants per wave?
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:17:08 pm »

I've found that the number one reason I lose interest in my forts, other than FPS death, is the moment I start losing track of my dwarves. I simply do not enjoy having to set up lodgings and jobs for 40 dwarves every year, and after I get my first 24-migrant wave, I just dig out a bunch of generic bedrooms (and eventually I just make a dormitory), and have half of them just assigned to hauling duty.

Is there some way to limit my migrant waves to, say, 2-5 migrants per season?

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a way to limit the number of migrants per wave?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:25 pm »

I think migrant wave strongly depend on your generated value. More value you add, more migrants will come.
So yeah definitely avoid cotton candy large iron serrated discs or other items that will skyrocket the value of your fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »

No, sadly, but there's work arounds.  With low created wealth, there's low migrant waves, so if you farm and idle your fort for a while, then you can expect small migrant waves.  You can also toy with the population cap and baby rate, bot found in the DF/init/d_init.txt file.  You can make the cap to something you like, like 50, and you'll never migrate above 50 adults.  If you have 50 cap and 10 child max, you'll have 60 population as listed in Z screen, because babies ignore the population cap.  You can modify the DF/raw/object/creature_standard.txt file, to make dwarves change the rate at which they grow.  So, if you want to get 5 dwarves a year, you can make [CHILD:1] in the creature file, so they'll become adults in 1 year, and then in the d_init file set the child cap at 5.  You'll have 5 babies at any given time, and they'll mature in one year.  Once they mature, then more babies are born.

You can modify the child age rate and d_init file without needing to re-gen your world, so these can be applied for a while, until you like where you're at, then you can back and disable population growth entirely, if you're so inclined.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »

You can kill as much as you want.

Keejus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »

Even when I make nothing but furniture and stone goods for booze, I still get size 20+ waves by the second year ) :

That's a good idea with the population cap, though. I'll give that a shot next time I play.

Any idea how it'd affect immigrant nobles?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:58:17 pm »

Why do you make goods for booze?  Make a farm and a few barrels!

Keejus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 10:31:15 pm »

Er, for trade in general. I mostly buy meat and booze and cookable food.