Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NO URIST MCFRIENDSWITHEVERYONE  (Read 632 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
NO URIST MCFRIENDSWITHEVERYONE
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:30:06 pm »

How do I keep my dorfs from going outside?

EEEP

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NO URIST MCFRIENDSWITHEVERYONE
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:30:45 pm »

Designate a burrow that only covers the inside areas of your fortress and assign civilians to it except when you need them outside.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:43:38 pm »

Actually I do not see anything bad in dorfes wander off.
Let's say I do not see anything bad in dorfes wander off when you are not in the middle of a siege or ambushed or something bad.

You can pretty much follow Vercingetorix advice and set a burrow.

Also you can set an alert status that when setted force your civilians to stay inside the burrow. You can also set multiple burrows and have you civilians gradually retreating in more restricted and defended area as the situation tend to go shit.

Alert menu is quite useful if you figure out how the fuck use it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 06:51:36 pm »

The bad thing is, a dwarf with friends will die, and his friends will tantrum, and then bash someone's skull in, which kills someone else's friend, etc...  Tantrum spiral in a nutshell.  Thus, dwarves with many friends should be kept out of danger.

Hungry Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 06:55:16 pm »

The bad thing is, a dwarf with friends will die, and his friends will tantrum, and then bash someone's skull in, which kills someone else's friend, etc...  Tantrum spiral in a nutshell.  Thus, dwarves with many friends should be kept out of danger.

The right puninshment for a dwarf full of friend should be eating his meal trough a grate, walled alive in a comfortable bedroom with no contact with the outside word.
And oh, if he is a legendary crafter or something, a workshop and a way to deliver some materials.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »

See, I go exactly the opposite way.  I like my dwarves to spend their free time making as many friends as possible, until their attitude is in the astronomical extatic range.  Once the dwarves are extremely ecstatic, you can kill off 90% of the fortress in a terrible accident and the remaining dwarves will still be happy.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:56:56 pm »

This works for very large forts, but when you're 20-50 large there's not enough people to achieve that sort of social networking.