Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I can't be the only one who does this...  (Read 1414 times)

Garth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I can't be the only one who does this...
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:19:34 pm »

While I'm playing the game, I see it as it is. All Just a bunch of ASCII. However, when I think about past experiences just in my head when I'm not playing I picture everything like I would while I'm reading a book.
So basically
Playing: Derp, letters and symbols
Remembering: MOTHER OF GOD GLORIOUS FIGHTING BEASTS UNDERGROUND OVER LAVA.

Am I the only one who thinks like this? Please tell me I'm not.

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
Re: I can't be the only one who does this...
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 11:21:54 pm »

At least in my memories I tend to see multiple Z levels at a time.
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 12:21:20 am »

I'm like this sometimes, but other times I'm not.
When I am, I just look at DF and see a beautiful ASCII game, and I see things much more realistically when I'm remembering.
When I'm not, I imagine it happening just as I do it.
I especially do that with adventurer mode.
I'll be surrounded by enemies, and I imagine my adventurer lashing out at my enemies back and forth like some kind of deadly dance, with blood and bits flying everywhere.
It's times like this when I really love DF.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 12:40:25 am »

In my mind there is an unholy and usually red mixture of both.

For example, I can see a dwarf battling an elephant in 3D, with little red tilde marks on the ground.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 01:29:09 am »

When I think back on memories of dwarf fortress I have fond thoughts of, "Holy crap, get to the damn traders already!  You just slept, had some beer, attended a god damn stupid tigerman cub party and now you are putting your socks away! WTF! GET THERE ALREADY GOD DAMMIT! THEY ARE SELLING GRIZZLY BEARS!"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 01:45:04 am »

No, I am not like that at all. I no longer even see the ascii, now all I get in the spectaular scenes. It's like reading a book, I don't see the letter, just whats going on.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 02:00:25 am »

No, I am not like that at all. I no longer even see the ascii, now all I get in the spectaular scenes. It's like reading a book, I don't see the letter, just whats going on.

In the relatively short time I've been playing, I've come to this point as well.  The combat reports and the profile thoughts, especially, help me be "in the scene" rather than only viewing little inanimate faces and g's.

It helps if you've a little experience with roguelikes, which can also make you "see" the action when all you're doing is bumping an @ sign into a capital T.  Epic.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 03:15:27 am »

In my mind there is an unholy and usually red mixture of both.

For example, I can see a dwarf battling an elephant in 3D, with little red tilde marks on the ground.
I just realized something: the blood in the DF universe actually looks like that. Everything bleeds streamers. Or everybody is a Heaven Smile...
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Mystery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:00:38 am »

I generally see derp when playing but i always read the battle reports with vivid imagination of the battle.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 07:11:18 am »

It is exactly like playing a book. I create the visuals in my head just as if I were reading a book.  :D

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:27 am »

What do you mean "reading a book"? I battle the elephants myself! With me bare hands i tell ye, and chunks of dead elephants on my beard ;)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:33:48 am by Stworca »
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:57 am »

I usually remember my games as smileys with axes fighting anthropomorphic letters.

Sometimes I remember RL like that too :<

plisskin

• Bay Watcher
  • That's "Plissken"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:54:19 am »

I play with a tileset, so I'm a bit exempt. But of course the game requires the ability to frame little blips on the screen in an imaginary context, and when people put it into other media it becomes full-blown amazing. Oilfurnace, Boatmurdered, the classics, all of them. This is why I love reading succession threads.

Mundane hauling doesn't evoke much, even with a tileset it's pretty herp-de-derp "whatthefuckamireading." When Fun™ starts, though, immediately frames begin to form in the brain, and once the fort is dead and gone the story sort of forms itself.
Legendary Wrestler
Legendary Ambusher

Left Eye

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:16 pm »

I visualize it like reading a book. The text and ASCII graphics are just a framework to be filled in with imagination. Which makes it seem even more badass when a forgotten beast flying worm rips off dwarf limbs.

At this point the ASCII itself just seems more epic because I always imagine it to be. An @ sign next to a blinking U is as cool as gunning down people in Crysis, because I know that it's the same thing in my mind.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »

In my mind, I see multiple z-levels at a time, as well.  I think I just make a mental 3-d model of the whole fort, and fly around in it.

Then again, I tend to think in interconnecting concepts and systems to be engineered more than in what I physically see, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare