Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Group Symbol" edits Civ Symbol?  (Read 507 times)

ColdSpiral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Group Symbol" edits Civ Symbol?
« on: December 31, 2022, 08:35:11 pm »

After picking up the Steam edition of DF lately I've realised that the "Group Symbol" option on the embark screen doesn't work as I'd expected. I'd hoped to create a symbol for the embark group as named by the player; instead it creates the symbol for the entire civ they're from. Is this how it's meant to be?

I can see some arguments in favour of the current implementation, eg. if your dorfs are going to be carving the kingdom's symbol everywhere most players might want to have some control of it, but I find it odd the player can alter something present in the world prior to embark, and I'd rather create a symbol for my faction.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: "Group Symbol" edits Civ Symbol?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2023, 10:41:35 am »

I assumed the group symbol was just defaulting to the civ symbol, and this was just being indicated poorly in the embark menu. Does it actually change the civ symbol once you finish embarking? What happens if you retire and create a second embark?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Group Symbol" edits Civ Symbol?
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2023, 06:29:16 pm »

In-game the symbol you design here is actually used as your Group Symbol, not the civ symbol. The civ symbol remains constant (and can't be changed as far as I can tell).
The mistake is in the design screen where it gives your Civ name at the top of the page instead of your group.

So the button is correct, the functionality is logical (doesn't mess with space and time), it's just a text error.