Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Giving myself a headstart  (Read 698 times)

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giving myself a headstart
« on: February 10, 2011, 08:27:35 pm »

Since my previous adventurers all died too soon, I've decided to give myself a headstart on the next one.
So I struck the earth, mined some cotton candy and forged some wafers.

So far, I have a artifact cotton candy battle axe, which will be my chosen weapon for kobold genocide.
But I need some armor to go with it and I'm too impatient to wait for that many armoring moods/savescumming for artifact armor.

Unfortunately, I only have ~30 pieces of cotton candy, so what should I make to maximize protection?

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giving myself a headstart
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, there's an glitch with bolts where if you have them separated into individual bolts, and designate them for melting, you'll get more metal than you started with. Might also work with coins, but I'd not blow my cotton candy on it.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:48:52 pm »

Would coins of a different maerial make better weapons?
Everybody!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 01:22:56 am »

A full set of no quality blue armor should still be pretty damn protective.

I'd put the leftover candy supply into sharp things for throwing purposes. I'm not sure which weapon makes the best projectile, but if I were in your position I'd make serrated discs and use them dwarven ninja stars.

myrkul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:31 am »

Why don't you train the armorer up on copper or something? That way you don't waste the precious, precious blue stuff?

Or am I missing something?
Tips, donations or bribes:

1LRwdLUjnUrsnQzHmxRPCjMSxqPrPUU8p

Slade Beds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 09:38:45 am »

Steel is somewhat more useful for weapons in adventure mode. It's "good enough" to reliably sever limbs and heads and pierce helms and breastplates and when you use it as a blunt weapon (pommel strikes) it does something other than leaving bruises. If you're targeting every single blow you won't use pommel strikes that much but if you're just hacking away at stuff to make it moar dead your adventurer sometimes decides to slap your enemies around with the side of his sword, etc.

But:

For bluemetal armor you will want, at the minimum, a helmet, mail shirt, gauntlets and high boots. This covers all exposed skin, except for your throat with only four bars of material. Make sure your fancy armor is in an iron bin so the bin doesn't go anywhere when you abandon. If you raid enough night creature lairs and kill enough dwarven bandits you'll eventually find a steel breastplate and greaves/leggings to reinforce this.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 12:10:57 am »

An armorsmith and anorther weaponsmith both mooded. Now I have an adamantium pickaxe!  :) Will it be better than the adamantine battleaxe?

So now I'm going to make breastplate,mail shirt, helm, greaves, leggings, high boots. Anything else?