Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Block stockpile: Am I doing it wrong?  (Read 1054 times)

Keejus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Block stockpile: Am I doing it wrong?
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:44:28 pm »

I'm experiencing a simple, yet frustrating problem. I would like to make all my aboveground structures to be made of marble, which is found deep underground, so I naturally built a mason's shop in the marble layer and set it to work churning out marble blocks. This works just fine, and I have a steady supply of the stuff. My dwarves, however, refuse to take the finished blocks out of the shop and into stockpiles. I built a bar/block stockpile near the surface, and set it to allow all stone blocks. The haulers proceeded to place a single bin there and went back to milling about the meeting area with no job.

I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the blocks; they're not tasked for any construction or similar that would make them unhaulable, and when I do assign them to constructions, my masons haul them all the 50-odd z-levels up without problem. I thought maybe the haul distance was a problem for some reason, so I had another stockpile placed next to the mason's shop, which resulted in another single-bin pile. I have recently gotten all my blocks upstairs by having them hauled to the trade depot, but now they're cluttering that up.

How can I make my dwarves haul Marble Blocks?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Block stockpile: Am I doing it wrong?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:52:11 pm »

I take it you've set your block stockpile such that it doesn't allow metal blocks? That's your problem. Go into the list of metals that a block could be made out of, find Marble, and activate it, and marble blocks will be stored there.

For no readily apparent reason, all inorganic materials are listed under metals in stockpile lists, so if you're allowing stone but disallowing all metals, you're essentially allowing all stones in general except every one in particular. You've got to allow the ones you want in particular.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Keejus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:54 pm »

Oh. That's... intuitive. But it worked! Thank you

BlutundEisen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 04:32:43 am »

Well, even ALL gems are listed under metals.
That explains why my non-metal stockpiles also never worked :(

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:01:59 pm »

Don't forget you can set a stockpile right next to the mason's down below, and have the stockpile at the top set up to [t]ake marble blocks from the stockpile at the bottom. I do this with wood.  A 12 tile wood stockpile next to my carpenter's workshop that pulls from the 64 tile wood stockpile just outside the front door of my fortress.   If you haven't done this before: Make the two stockpiles were you want them, hit Q, move the cursor to the smaller (destination) stockpile and then press t, move the cursor to the source stockpile and hit enter. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33:35 pm »

A stockpile may only have one source and destination.  I set up a large omni-pile in my newest fort, with the intent to draw from pile to my smaller stockpiles closer to workshops, but it only works for one stockpile at a time.  So, I cannot push food to my brewer and wood to my carpenter at the same time.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:19:35 pm »

More specifically, a stockpile can only "source" items to one other stockpile.  A single stockpile can "pull" items from multiple other stockpiles, however.  Setting a stockpile to "take from stockpile" will override the previous order to take from that stockpile, if one exists.

I apologize if this post is confusing due to overuse of the of the word "stockpile".
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring