Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where do I find my RPG Maker Fix?  (Read 1153 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where do I find my RPG Maker Fix?
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:49:24 pm »

Ohh RPGmaker how I love you.

From my first RPGmaker on the PS1 eventually to the PC versions...

As well as a fake PC version that I realised later, when I finally got the official REAL PC version, was actually a lot better then the official one (In everyway... the latest RPG maker is REALLY bare bones, while the fake one had... well... everything except easy character select). Heck even Spore had its own version in an expansion and it was so limited it made any of the PC RPG makers seem ingenius.

I sadly skipped over the PS2 RPGmaker because of only one flaw, it actually had a limit on how many NPCs and basically triggers you could populate the world with. Were it not for that ONLY flaw I would have bought it instantly. Though even now I regret not getting it. SURE that one flaw is so cripplingly stupid that it could very well ruin the game, but it had everything I have been waiting for in an RPG maker. An animation set that wasn't horrible, character portraits, CHARACTERS WHO FIGHT IN THE BATTLE, as well as other neat tricks here and there. It was still somewhat better then the PC one.

However the RPG Maker stream has run dry and to my knowledge they pretty much stopped making them altogether. (Plus the latest PC RPGmaker really relies on mods to make it great)

WHY!!!!!!!!!!???!!!!!!!!!!!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I find my RPG Maker Fix?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 11:12:48 pm »

Neverwinter Nights. That is all.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:19 pm »

Neverwinter Nights. That is all.

Ehhhh... I am well aware of Neverwinter Nights, Vampire the Masquerade, and Amnesia Dark Decent's map makers

The issue is that ultimately they are different alterations of the game you already got and the tools they give you are limited.

They would make a poor man's RPGmaker, though admittingly a refreshing alteration, just not the same thing.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:23:10 pm by Neonivek »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:32:45 pm »

I dunno where you're getting your info, you can make as much as you want in Neverwinter Nights, there are plenty of whole campaigns made by players, the Hall of Fame ones here http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.HOF
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:35:26 pm »

I am aware, I attempted to make RPGs in Nverwinter Nights. There are just... issues to say the least.

The best of the best are people who have really esoteric skills. Which is the same for RPGmaker I guess...

I guess the best way to explain it. It just doesn't have the same feeling as RPG maker.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 11:40:41 pm by Neonivek »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 11:42:29 pm »

I'd say Neverwinter Nights is probably better than RPGmaker, to be honest. It's a lot more like a professional dev tool, scripting and all. There's a learning curve but a lot more you can do with it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 11:44:35 pm »

You kinda want to go away from actual scripting. that is where the appeal of RPGmakers come from.

A lot of power in your hands but very little need to actually code things.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 04:37:19 am »

Well, if you want stuff like RPGMaker, where you can make a fully functional game without necessarily scripting anything, there's the ol' ironsides of DIY-RPG engines - OHRRPGCE.  It consistently updates once a year or so since 1998, and is capable of replicating pretty much any RPG made up to FF6 (it's tiling engine is pretty rigid) with lots of creative potential.  It does have a very powerful scripting add-on engine (powerful enough to turn a paint-by-numbers Final Fantasy maker into a side-scrolling platformer), but you don't actually need the scripting to make a (relatively) basic but wholly entertaining game.  Evidence of that being that the scripting didn't even exist until it had been around a couple years.

I'll always have a soft spot for the OHR and its games, because I stumbled across it while looking for just such a program, more than a decade ago.  I keep thinking I should give it another whirl, but I never have a good reason.  The community is a bit dead compared to what it used to be (not least because of the incredibly long update cycle... not that we're ones to judge) and is overrun with Furries, which you'll discover upon playing the "Vikings of Midgard" sample game.  It still comes heartily recommended.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:15 am »

If you're not averse to learning a relatively easy language(but fairly powerful) and doing a lot of stuff yourself, RPGToolkit. It doesn't have a lot of "built-in" stuff like menus or battle systems, but it's not impossibly hard to do those yourself(in fact, I wrote a system for item management that makes the former much easier, even though it has a built-in item system). The scripting language it uses is pretty useful, to the point that some people made non-RPG games using it.

It doesn't also have a lot of default content(music, graphics) but it's easy to add your own stuff(unless you suck as an artist, like me), and there's plenty of stuff the community has put up. The community itself if very active and last I checked helpful. Although the main program version doesn't seem to have been updated in a long time(it's still the same as when I last looked), it's open source, and has plugin capabilities.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.