Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Difficult Games  (Read 2184 times)

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Difficult Games
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 02:18:14 pm »

Any of the touhou games. (Not the fighting ones though)

Bullet hell and ass kicking music!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 02:35:05 pm »

Space-chem is entirely about an abstract (somewhat unrealistic) but great, view on chemistry. Doesn't require any elaborate chemical knowledge.(though it might make the construction of say, polyelthelyne easier, logistically.)(yes, logistically)
Why just SpaceChem? All of them are very good engineering puzzle games, and SpaceChem seems better (not by comparison) after you've played a few of the others.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 03:09:37 pm »

I have one game for you:

Die by the sword
DbtS is hard more so because of getting used to the controls since they generally allow you to swing your sword in the most useless of ways. Although it is fun. :P

You should at least give the demo for Lugaru a try. Taking weapons into combat is dangerous for everyone involved as disarming is common. Attacks can be countered and counters can be countered too. I recently reinstalled this and I'm having a blast.
This. The controls are fairly simple, but accomplish a lot. Not to mention the later challenge levels. I only ever played on the easiest difficulty, and it was already difficult enough getting through the levels with wolves.

Also, I just remembered the perfect game - Colosseum: Road to Freedom for the PS2 (aka Gladiator, heard it's also for the PSP now - EDIT: called Gladiator Begins on the PSP). A sort of arena fighter with RPG elements. You train your gladiator and have him participate in arena battles every few days. Thing is, you need to fight much better than everyone else in the arena, as healing between battles costs a lot and you need to participate in multiple events to make decent money. Stringing together combos is a vital part of being better rated (and thus earning more money), so you can't really go through fights with hit and run tactics, you need to stay on your enemy, keep striking and dodge at just the right time.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:18:18 pm by Virtz »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:33 pm »

suuuupeerrr meatboy!

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 04:21:30 pm »

How has no one mentioned Ninja Gaiden?  On hard, you need absolute control or you're going to die horribly - as mentioned by Penny Arcade.

But Demon's Souls is a tremendously well-made game that rewards careful execution, punishes button mashing, and also has those giant bosses you were looking for.  I consider it a game worth buying a PS3 for, and I *hate* Sony.  That should tell you how great Demon's Souls is.

"So the world may be mended... so the world may be mended."

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 04:28:30 pm »

How has no one mentioned Ninja Gaiden?  On hard, you need absolute control or you're going to die horribly - as mentioned by Penny Arcade.

Cannot mention Ninja Gaiden without also adding a link to Awesome Gaiden
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 04:34:18 pm »

Silent Storm: Sentinels, you need good planning and even then the enemy can screw you over.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04:25 pm »

Rush'N'Attack for NES.  Think contra except you have no gun.  Instead you have a knife.  I think the first boss is three jet pack guys that throw grenades.  I think they also kill you if they hit your body.  So you have to jump knife them very carefully.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 05:16:41 pm »

/Agree w/ Virtz:

Colosseum: Road to Freedom needs a remake in a bad way..loved this game!!
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf
Pages: 1 2 [3]