Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ultimate Levers  (Read 2211 times)

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ultimate Levers
« on: February 08, 2011, 10:10:16 pm »

Inspired by the command and control post, I've decided to make a "Aww Fuck" room filled with fun levers.

What I need to know is what awesome things should the levers do. I saw something along the lines of "one to open all doors and one to release magma" followed by "if your doing it right this should be the same lever". I like that. Im not to interest in a lever to a support holding the whole fortress. Ive been there and ive won like that already. I need more inventive ideas.

What do you think?

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ultimate Levers
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 10:24:46 pm »

In my most recent Fort, I had five levers.

One controlled the Spikes in the Danger Room.

One made a bridge that covered my shortcut entrance into a wall, rerouting all traffic into a long corridor of death.

The long corridor had a ton of dogs built into the wall with fortifications, the dogs had been modded to fire either dragonfire or webs, depending on caste.

One made all the bridges in the corridor of death flip on and off. I built them to trip any enemies walking through the long corridor to get webbed and burned.

Another turned on and off steel spikes I had built into the corridor.

The last one turned on a series of floodgates to stop enemies from going into the corridor, in case bowgoblins came. This way I could protect my dogs.

As for "ULTIMATE LEVERS", one that controls a pipe stack to flood the world or certain parts of the map in magma is a great idea, as is one that floods with water. Maybe a third lever that does both to encase the world in obsidian?

Panic levers are fun too. Maybe build doors and a drawbridge into every room in the fortress, so that when a panic lever is pulled, every individual room is isolated and safe. Maybe have that lever also connected to a Hatch Cover in every room. These all lead to a giant stockpile of food and weapons and such under the fortress, so that the second fortress could be accessed in case of invasion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 11:48:08 pm »

A super-flood, very pressurized.  Essentially an enormous water reservoir located above your fort, which could be ground level if your fort is below-ground.  Place a series of outspouts, that when opened will rush water through narrow tunnels in your base and then shoot the water out at high speed.  This is usually enough to shove creatures into walls and crush them, and if not, then they should be pushed down deeper into the fort before they drown.

For added dwarfhood, add carp or other suitably ferocious water creatures in small pools around your base, so that when it floods the fish will suddenly have free roam.

Nazguran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:25:19 am »

Make a single lever that, when pulled, will collapse the entire fortress on itself when all goes to hell.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 08:54:02 am »

Capture a few megabeasts and release them opon triggering some of the levers. In general just trow all the levers in the same room and don't add notes...
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 09:52:05 am »

Have a Captain Planet-esque scenario where one lever pull leads to, in order: a massive cave-in, a magma flood, a water flood, the release of a large number of untamed giant eagles in your dining hall, and the death of the fifteen most popular dwarves in your fort.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 12:32:57 pm »

"While you were out, we took the liberty of installing two unmarked levers in your living room. One of them floods the house with magma, and the other lets out all the kittens."
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »

"While you were out, we took the liberty of installing two unmarked levers in your living room. One of them floods the house with magma, and the other lets out all the kittens."

Can I pull both?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »

Go ahead, but who knows what else they're attached to. We were pretty sober when we put them in.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Makigall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 02:35:28 pm »

I've been thinking along the same lines, mostly considering what I'd do in a succession game, but my main idea is to make a hallway below a water reservoir.  The hallway being one tile wide and alternating pressure plates and flood gates.  Attach levers to each floodgate and attach pressure plates to bad things in your fort.  Such as flooding areas in water or magma, releasing everything in the zoo, atom smashing the mayor's room, you know, interesting things.  I'd probably try my best to surround the hallway and reservoir with large amounts of water from a different source or magma and make it so the only way into the pressure plate hallway is through the filled water reservoir.  An alternative is to make the floodgates block short hallways with pressure plates so that the traps don't have to trigger in the same sequence.

I'd then proceed to place as many bridges, floodgates, hatches, doors and other objects attached to levers as possible.  I'd link my trap levers to things like the main gate, the danger room or anything else I think someone would be likely to pull.  Of course all levers would be completely free of notes.  This would make pulling a lever always be a gamble.

The other thing I'm going to do in my next fort is place food and booze stockpiles in my baron/king's quarters.  And block his quarters with an indoor moat and bridge.  The bridge lever would be outside in the main dining hall, so in case of emergency I can lock up my nobles and wait for migrants to repopulate my fort.  Sort of like a panic room only my nobles would be more like prisoners.  Well.  Exactly like prisoners.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 07:28:36 pm »

A super-flood, very pressurized.  Essentially an enormous water reservoir located above your fort, which could be ground level if your fort is below-ground.  Place a series of outspouts, that when opened will rush water through narrow tunnels in your base and then shoot the water out at high speed.  This is usually enough to shove creatures into walls and crush them, and if not, then they should be pushed down deeper into the fort before they drown.

For added dwarfhood, add carp or other suitably ferocious water creatures in small pools around your base, so that when it floods the fish will suddenly have free roam.
I built something similar in one of my more successful forts, but unfortunately I never got to test it out. An amusing variant that only reached the planning stages involved a set of screw-pumps at the very end of a long entrance tunnel, and possibly a set of hatch covers over a long and winding waterslide that dumped the hopefully still-living goblins into the caverns.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!