Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon Slaying  (Read 1065 times)

Zdrok

• Bay Watcher
  • You are melting!
    • View Profile
Dragon Slaying
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:50:24 pm »

*Sorry if this has been posted before, I used search and found nothing other than the advice to use a shield.*

I've been training up a dual blade swordsman for a while and he's at Great level.  I have a silver longsword in one hand and an iron two-handed sword in the other.  I have a quest to fight a dragon, but last time I cockily strode into a dragon lair with what I believed to be a ridiculously strong character, he was instantly melted.  I heard shields help a lot, but I have NO points in blocking.  Are there any other strategies to slaying dragons?

Horizon9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Slaying
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 05:56:22 pm »

Why don't you try and get some points in blocking?
I'm sure you have time to get up to at least Adept.
Last time I fought a dragon, my dwarf just blocked all his dragon fire. But I usually put a lot of points into blocking, so that might've helped.
What a tiny roc. I guess I could call it a pebbl.

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »

Best strategy is having a shield hands down.  It can completely block the dragon fire saving you from a horrible death.  Beyond that just make sure that you have a reasonably powerful character and hope you get lucky.  I've killed a dragon  with a freshly made demi-god level character focusing in battle axe and had a shield, only got a couple bruises on my had and feet, another guy a little stronger than the other got his head bitten off in the first turn.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

GrueSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:36 pm »

Also, try melting some or all of your adventurer's fat off. It should increase the survivability of dragonfire significantly, as heat only deals damage from melting or setting fire to tissue or bone, respectively, which causes your adventurer to start bleeding. Ignite a tree, wait until you get "you are melting!" messages, run around until you stop, check if you melted any fat off by 'l'ooking at your adventurer, then seeing his 'd'escription. Rinse, and repeat.

Wolf Tengu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:49:14 pm »

Like everyone said, shields.

Even if your adventurer is a kobold, with e few points in shield you can block the fire and have lizard stew for dinner.

If you want, cut off a piece as a memento.
Everybody!

Rentorian

• Bay Watcher
  • It's amazing what you can do without a conscience
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »

One other thing!
Dragons take a LONG time to mature, 1000 years actually, and they keep getting bigger and bigger all the time.  A 1000 year old dragon is MUCH more dangerous than a 200 year old one.  If you're in an old world, or have modded dragons to grow really fast, make sure that you put in a LOT more preparation into fighting one.
Sometimes I find myself sitting around asking myself, "Why?"
Then I come to my senses and respond "Well why the hell not?"

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49:31 pm »

Shields are a must

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 12:56:22 pm »

High speed helps too. With high speed you can avoid the dragonfire just by virtue of being fast enough to get a turn or two while it's flowing.  Can't quite outrun it, but you can often avoid the heaviest hit areas with a perpendicular move or two. Then just rush in and try to take it out before it fires off another round.

That is of course if yer fighting it in the open, which I find is better than fighting it in it's cramped space where you can't evade.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cocoprimate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »

With my swordmaster adventurer I've killed 13 dragons. Only injury I got was a yellow one to the foot.

This is what I've come to realize is the best strategy for killing dragons using a swordsman:

1-Have a shield. Absolutely essential
2-Stab and slash the lower body until it's vomiting and retching (try to use iron)
3-Once it's puking, which will render the dragon completely useless, just hack away at the head until it dies, and if you get anything less than a normal chance to hit the head, go for the foot and other minor extremities, which will contribute to making it bleed out
4-Drink its blood, then butcher it, and sell the meat for enormous profit. Keep some to yourself. Dragon meat is tasty.
5-If you are using genesis, use up ALL ITS PARTS, make dragon leather cloaks, thongs, use the bones for swords, make a trophy out of its skull
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:49:10 pm by Cocoprimate »
The story of Aban Diamondtowns the Charms of Society, dwarf legend, and his descent into the depths. (SPOILER)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79229.0

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 01:14:40 am »

My ridiculously overtrained spearmaster adventurer generally just snuck up to the dragons and went for a headshot.  An amusingly large percentage of the time this resulted in a dead dragon before it even knew what hit it.  If it didn't work once, I'd just try a few more times, sometimes without being spotted anyway.  Shields are definitely good, and being fast enough to move out of the cone of dragonfire helps as well.  If you're not good enough to one-shot enemies yet, go with the attrition strategy of (A) stab its lower limbs until it falls over (B) stab its lower body until it starts retching, which renders almost any enemy almost completely helpless.  If fighting weapon-using enemies, stab their weapon hands as well until they drop their weapons. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Maynot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 01:10:13 am »

If you have a fast character, you can avoid the fire blast at a range.  Sneaking at high levels helps too.

Your first action should almost always be to aim for the legs or gut to slow it down.  Go for the head/throat if you have a good chance at hitting solidly.  Who knows?  You might kill it in one strike.

I am not exactly sure how often the dragon breathes fire, but to be safe, I think it might be around 10-20 turns if you have around 1500 speed.
I play games of games inside games in my head.