Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Attempting to win the game  (Read 1529 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Attempting to win the game
« on: February 07, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »

Well, technically not, since I'm not mining all the ores and gems out of the mountain, but I breached an adamantine tube due to boredom and lack of sieges. My under-trained, under-armored (wooden armor sometimes!), and under-armed (Ony one steel weapon). Losses so far : Two axedwarfs VS Two Monster of Brine

Just to clarify : I have only one steel piece of equipment. I have only one artifact weapon, a cow bone battle axe. My dwarves are not danger room trained. There are about one and half pages of enemys. Army : Two axedwarves (Not including dead), two swordsdwarves, seven macedwarves, four speardwarves, five marksdwarves, ten wrestlers (armed with an assortmen of previously mentioned weapons)
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to win the game
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:57:05 pm »

I had a dwarven child defeat a steam demon.  Don't get too full of yourself there.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »

I had a dwarven child defeat a steam demon.  Don't get too full of yourself there.

:o Did you draft him into the military? Badass tot there...

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »

My miner accidentally breached hell via normal rock, something was wrong and I missed the magma sea, unfortunately she had a kid, so when I ordered her to run up and build a floor over the stairway to hell, the kid got stuck.  The second demon was less of a pushover, and slaughtered the kid.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:42:14 pm »

Yeah, their mostly steam/ash/etc stuff. None have poison. I drafted ten dwarves to make up for eight losses.

"A towering Elephant composed of Steam!"

Dwarven retreat by Lorbam, Wrestler/to be swordsdwarf

"Get out of the way" "Run" "Retreat!" are the words I here as I run from the horros of the deep. Marksdwarves cover our retreat with silver bolts. Squads of civilians are being drafted to attack. I don't think we'll make it.

Fun fact : The dwarves are actually retreating. And the losses are dwarves - 15 Horrors ; 13 Also, due to my foresight, most recruits have battle axes or spears.

85 dorfs... reduced to 15...

Your Settlement has Crumbled to it's end. Also, I had a couple pieces of steel armor I didn't know about.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:29:48 pm by JacenHanLovesLegos »
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:28:55 am »

Once one of my miners got to legendary wrestler cause there was a snow demon between him and the booze stockpile.  :)

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 01:51:58 am »

you could try pissing every other civs so you get many sieges
and thusly 'empty' their population.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 06:31:11 am »

I once "won" adventure mode.

Made an adventurer and after killing countless horrors and training all combat skills to insane levels by the simple method of standing in the middle of a horde of zombie groundhogs while choking one for months on end I founded a fortress to mine out some cotton candy for his weapons and armour.

I then founded another fort purely to build him a path to the circus.

After killing an untold number of nameless horrors and not suffering a scratch I finally brought him back up out of the depths and just accepted that he'd won.
Short of leaping off a cliff or going for a swim in magma we wasn't going to die by any mortal hand.

Closest I've come to "winning" fortress mode was a fortress using the dig deeper mod and had a team of 8 ultra high level champions who each could single handedly punch and entire orc siege to death.
But then in fortress mode bordom and FPS death is the greatest enemy.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:37:50 am »

The first time I found the HFS, my last surviving dwarf was a kid who had been chased into the caverns by a steam beast. After dozens of pages of ineffectual attacks against him, he finally fought back and struck it down. He then had a quick sleep, went to the nearest food & drink stockpiles to get some nourishment, and then went upstairs...
It was heartbreaking.