Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelters no longer functioning unless through management  (Read 923 times)

phoenixuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smelters no longer functioning unless through management
« on: February 05, 2011, 08:11:21 pm »

Ok i'm a bit confused.
My relevant stocks read as follows:

Iron [83]
Steel [82]
Pig Iron [29]
Coke [110]
Charcoal [8]

However i cannot assign any tasks to my smelters, as it says no available materials/fuel blah blah blah... i have literally hundreds of magnetite, limonite, silver nuggets, and platinum lying around to be processed, but they just won't do it.
Assigning jobs through the management screen works, so i'm not sure what's going on. None of my stockpiles are blocked, or restricted by burrows etc... i'm confuzzled.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Smelters no longer functioning unless through management
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 08:25:05 pm »

Are they perhaps magma smelters? If so, check to make sure they have enough magma. Also, check to see if the jobs you ordered are actually being completed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »

If there's no fuel, then... make some fuel?  Smelting has always been very straightforward, and if this is eluding you then it's because you're trying to find a bug and ignoring the possibility that you missed something.

EBannion

• Bay Watcher
  • Visit my Blog, www.elleshaped.com
    • View Profile
    • ElleShaped
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:51:19 pm »

If you have a burrow which contains the smelter, it will mess it up bigtime.

You might be able to get it to work if you make sure that the flux, the ore, and the pig iron are all also inside of the burrow, but a more reliable method is to keep the smelter out of the burrow.
Torturing Dwarves to death since 2007

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:59:46 am »

Oh, burrows and smelters don't mix.  Good to know (I had the same issue last night and I did have a "all underground" burrow setup. I wonder if it is because the bars were all in the smelter still, while the flux wasn't.  HHmm... might have to do a little science.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 11:37:52 am »

There's my assumption on this: all the workers which have smelting skill enabled also have some kind of "very rarely does more work than necessary" in their characters, so when they have other work to do, they never pay attention to smelting jobs. In this case the jobs are distributed by the "first free worker" principle.

And when the job is accounted by manager it's maybe assigned to the specific smelter AND specific worker, so it would be done in some time as violation of working routine is prohibited.
Finis sanctificat media.