Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Veteran Care  (Read 731 times)

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Veteran Care
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:55:56 pm »

Im playing some Wizard Tower atm, and just had a wizard single handedly save my tower from a goblin ambush by going martial on their asses with magic.
She survived the ordeal, but not without suffering massive damage, including the loss of both her lower arms, and her ability to grasp items.
Thanks to the wonders of an actually functional hospital zone (which still baffles my mind) she's made a full recovery, but due to the loss of her arms, she can no longer fish.
I looked around and found a position in my fort that didn't require arms to do, the archivist position, which she happily ran off to do.

The problem comes when she wants  to eat or store items in her room, as i get spammed with "cancels job store owned item: too injured"
anyone have any clever solutions to this that doesnt neccessarily include placing her under an atom smasher?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Veteran Care
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

Forbid all of her owned items, turn off announcements until they rot away, or atom smash nevermind, just the two.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »

Do you want her to have arms again? Because I'm pretty sure that's the only way she's going to eat or drink. Unless she is eating and drinking, but still spamming announcements.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 09:44:09 pm »

Get her to be sent to the hospital permanently. Then other dwarves will bring her food and water.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Savolainen5

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a wug.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:52:35 pm »

Bah, just kill 'er and bury 'er in some excellent tomb.  Don't want to have precious resources and time wasted on an invalid!  I do this even to my fancy military dwarves with 20 significant kills once they become useless.  Sometimes even if they lose just one hand.
A small creature sometimes found on paper.  It is small.  Its eyes are black. It is adored by children for its cuteness.
(On a picture of cavies):
We see a family of small land rodents.
Dwarfs see masterpiece roasts.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:38:16 am »

I always keep my injured dudes around, even if they're bed-ridden in the hospital.  That is, until they start spamming announcements.  To me, that constitutes "insanity," so I lock them in their rooms until they die, like any normal insane dwarf would do.

Chalk it up to PTSD and phantom pains.  It's better to let 'em go now than to let them wander around for years, constantly whining that they can't do things.