Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I'll build a colosseum, a few questions  (Read 2578 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
I'll build a colosseum, a few questions
« on: February 05, 2011, 11:04:53 am »

I was embarking on a big 6x6 square mountain with lots of obsidian and granite, planning to build a temple worthy of Armok when I saw that I was truely blessed by the RNG.

Thus, The Angry Beards hereby announce the foundation of Fistbattles.

Seeing that name I knew that a mere temple would not suffice, so I am now planning to build a colosseum of epic dimensions, complete with magma pits, mean weapon traps, rivers of blood and gore and lots of manly fist fights.

But before I can beginn buisness, I have some questions regarding my future victims superstars.

If I add [can_learn] to animals, will they gain stats and skills they need for combat?
Can I get a Giant Lion called "Scratchhowled the awesomeness of biting, high master biter" that way? And will that really help them in combat?

Can I force sentient beings to equip weapons and armor? I know that trolls, giants, forgotten beats and similar sometimes end up with weapons, but that is mostly due to wrestling AFAIK.
So can I strip a goblin of his inferior stuff, and make him use some superior quality steel armor instead?

Can I force untamed animals to breed? I have read once that even untamed animals will breed, as long as they have a [pet] tag. If that is true, does that count for sentient races, too? Can I add [pet] to elves, keep a pair, and make them give birth to generations of arena warriors?

Is one of those areas unexplored and needs some science to be done?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 02:01:46 pm by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I'll build a colosseum, a few questions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:23:25 pm »

[CAN_LEARN]: It stands to reason, yes, but there's no visible way to read their skills sadly.

Equipment: I'd had this idea before too.  Things with the [EQUIPS] token will be able to use weapons and armor, although it seems to be a "lead a horse to water" situation more than anything else.

Untame Breeding: Very much so yes.  A properly devised untame breeding setup is essential for any good Colosseum.  There's just a few things to consider, namely that in current versions of DF, male and female do not need to be close by, civilians will run from animals, even chained ones, making the extraction of newborns difficult, and most animals run by default, unless you add [LIKES_FIGHTING] to the creature.  Breeding elves, I'm unsure of, since they have their own entity (civilization) but sentient creature/pets like Tigermen will breed.  Search the forums for "Mermaid Farm" and "Sea Serpent Farm" for intricately detailed plans.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »

Adding [can_learn] to animals will mostly make them super social, you might end up with a war grizzly mayor if you are not careful (not that there is anything wrong with war grizzly mayors, I bet the elections go smooth as hell).  However they will get heroic names from engaging with goblins--I think it has something to do with becoming an enemy of a civ.

I don't know of any way to equip things, however the accidental equips often produce a beloved and hilarious arena champion organically (I had a werewolf that slew eleven with a donkey leather dress and became our baroness)

Also--great way to produce champions is to puppy bomb a captured siege with all your excess animals--some puppy will inevitably become super awesome while its relatives perish horribly reducing f.p.s.--good for everyone! 

I remember a wolf pup named Stezzan, released with dozens of other wolf pups into an arena which contained 20 stripped goblins, 10 trolls and one giant.  The giant killed everything except Stezzan, who became a master fighter after shaking a few goblins around by the extremities and dodging every last one of the giant's attacks.  When they were the last two left standing, i opened the arena and recaptured both. Later the giant got a second chance at Stezzan, this time he ignored everyone and went straight for his old nemesis. Ran right through the arena and with one punch smashed Stezzan into a puddle. And dodged off the edge the next tick, plundging down 20 z levels into my cavern farm and exploding.  I like to imagine he tripped over Stezzan's dead body.,
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 02:36:23 pm »

I haven't tried it since the 40D days, but the last time I modded elves to be [common_domestic] and [pet] it resulted in about 50 or so of them dying of hunger/thirst. I had a fix for it, but I don't remember what it was.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 02:38:11 pm »

[NO_THIRST] (or whatever the correct token is)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 02:41:11 pm »

you'd have to add [NO_EAT], too, I think.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 03:22:21 pm »

[NO_THIRST] (or whatever the correct token is)
[NO_DRINK]
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »

Oh, good. My mega-fort in 40d is ready for a good arena. I'll try to use this, especially as I just got some elf ambushers offerings.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.