Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A lot of real countries have Dwarf Fortress style names if you translate them...  (Read 7103 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile

Err, Belarus, hows your leader going?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile

Err, Belarus, hows your leader going?
shitty as usual.
 ::)
I don't go into politics.  ;D It's a damn waste of time here.

hope I get to go back to the good 'ol US soon...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!

I'm Swedish ;)
However, you're assuming "Svea" doesn't mean anything, which it of course does; the origin for Swede (and Svear) is hypothesised to mean "one's own people". Thus, Sweden would be "[land/realm/substantive referring to them living there] Of One's Own People". Sverige would as well, though with a clearly stated, rather than implied, "realm" bound into the word.
Norge I might very well be wrong about, though. I simply assumed the "rge" was the same as in Sverige, which (as you know) would have made it "the Northern Realm".

Almost all people have named themselves "The people" in their own ancient language, And I don't think the name Sverige when it was made was meant as that though, The people was established, in Old Norse I don't think they thought "Ones own people" When they refered to themselves anymore, so while that may be a complete translation I'd say that in practice it simply means Realm of the Svear.

However that's merely a danes interpretion of it :)

Hairywoodenleg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

its real name is Suomi which could mean "scale" or it could come from a personal name Suomi.

Actually it doesn't mean "scale" but "[He/she] whipped" which doesn't make any sense (but is dwarfy). One theory is that it's an old Baltic loan word meaning "land" but no one really knows.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, Finland is Suomi in Finnish, originally probably from the word "suo" (swamp) or from baltic zveme, then being "swampy", "swampy land" or "land where people live" - no one really knows.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]