Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Does military allow healthy relationships?  (Read 2801 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does military allow healthy relationships?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2011, 02:48:49 am »

and they can't have miscarriage, which can happen while training or fighting

Yes they can, there's a lovely negative thought just for it. Very rare, though.

Male dwarves cannot have a miscarriage.  This fact really shouldn't be disputed.  :o

I know! I can't believe the number of people who misread that quote. :o

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2011, 03:44:14 pm »

I like my dwarven construction removers children. They help me not have to tie a bunch of useful dwarves up tearing down walls.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

steve296

• Bay Watcher
  • Nauseated by the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2011, 04:27:34 pm »

I like my dwarven construction removers children. They help me not have to tie a bunch of useful dwarves up tearing down walls.

Good point! It has always got on my nerves when I see a dwarf with legendary skill in something and dabbling masonry, trying to unmake a wall sooooooooo slowly you can hear his nails scratching against it, instead of making masterwork soap or something. Makes me want to tear down a wall bare-handedly myself...

Is there a way of toggling deconstruction similar to harvesting?
Quote from: Girlinhat
History looks upon the humans and says "they survived the onslaughts and prospered by their strength."  History looks at the elves and say "they survived in harsh reality and maintained their morals."  Upon the goblins it says "despite the odds, the defenses against them, and the overwhelming death that lay ahead, they still pushed on for personal gain."

History looks upon the dwarves and says "Holy carp, someone did that?!"

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 04:34:37 pm »

Good point! It has always got on my nerves when I see a dwarf with legendary skill in something and dabbling masonry, trying to unmake a wall sooooooooo slowly you can hear his nails scratching against it, instead of making masterwork soap or something. Makes me want to tear down a wall bare-handedly myself...

Is there a way of toggling deconstruction similar to harvesting?

Not that I know of, but if you keep your skilled dwarves busy doing whatever it is they do, and keep a handful of idle haulers and/or children handy, the haulers/children will end up doing the deconstruction 99% of the time - at least, that's my experience.

As a last resort, if you get unlucky and find your legendary weaponsmith slowly deconstructing an item, you could always clear the designation for that one item and queue up something for your legendary to do (if you have nothing for him to do, well, why not let him deconstruct?). Weaponsmith will run off to make the next batch of steel battle axes, you immediately redesignate the deconstruction and hope for a child this time.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 05:27:40 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2011, 04:54:02 pm »

Yeah, that's what I do. It works for me about 80-90%, I'd say. The kids seem to jump at the chance to actually contribute.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

steve296

• Bay Watcher
  • Nauseated by the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2011, 03:44:39 am »

Thank you all for the answers for the various questions that have gotten up. I have successfully got the two lovers off-duty by undesignating their squad from the barracks (deleting the T from next to the squadname in barracks), AND cancelling their orders for the month. If I only did the last one, they'd revert to individual training drills, if I only did the first one, they'd say "Soldier cannot follow order", which makes sense, for they don't have a place to train. If I use BOTH methods, they revert back to civilian graphics (mayday tileset here) and start hauling stuff (the only jobs I left active on them), which means they can go idle, and maybe, marry. I like happy dorfs around me fort :D
Quote from: Girlinhat
History looks upon the humans and says "they survived the onslaughts and prospered by their strength."  History looks at the elves and say "they survived in harsh reality and maintained their morals."  Upon the goblins it says "despite the odds, the defenses against them, and the overwhelming death that lay ahead, they still pushed on for personal gain."

History looks upon the dwarves and says "Holy carp, someone did that?!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]