Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which Version?  (Read 472 times)

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Which Version?
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:04:06 pm »

A lot of people argue on which version of Dwarf Fortress is better, mostly either .31.18 and 40d, which version do you people use and why? I use .31.18 are there any advantages to certain versions?

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Which Version?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 06:12:02 pm »

LOSING IS FUN!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 06:31:36 pm »

Older version is more nostalgia, like when a new MMO comes out and all you hear is "This was better in closed beta".  If you've started with the new version, then it's pretty tough to give up all of the features it includes, and deal with all the bugs that weren't yet fixed.  In the end, it's all a mater of preference, since DF is single player and nothing -actually- maters, yet.  I'm holding out for multiplayer DF myself.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »

I think the bugs are more annoying to the long-term players than they are to the newer players, though.

There's also the whole "the fortress as a whole runs slower" problem.  The sheer added number of z-levels, plus all the critters therein, meant that the game just doesn't let you have as many dwarves as you used to before the shift.

In a way, you could play 31.18 or whatever, just to experience the new stuff, but then, when the novelty of some of the things wore out, you'd want to go back to the experience that you enjoyed in 40d, where things were less buggy.

I'm actually thinking about resuming play on the fort I had in 40d rather than building another 31.18 fort right now... But that's just because it was a well-developed fort whose dwarves I'd really come to like, and there were some features I never finished putting in (the queen's marble castle atop the mountain). 

Basically, it's a tradeoff between the new features and the reliability of the old version... and if you have played 31.18 long enough to get past its novelty, and didn't mind what 40d used to lack, then go nuts.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare