Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What do you do with Troglodytes  (Read 11150 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with Troglodytes
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 09:05:26 pm »

The wiki has a page of "Stupid Dwarven Tricks".  Go there and look up "The Doberman Bomb"

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

I wish that critters like dogs could gain skill levels, though.  It would go a long way in making them useful again, for one thing.  For another, though, it would make dumping trogs into a pit filled with your Bear Champions, Lion Champions, and Cave Crocodile Champions both more useful and more amusing. 

Bumrek McCrocodile has become an Elite Bitemaster.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 12:09:20 am »

Well I set up a arena it has about 15 trogs in it, 12 naked gobos, a cyclops, a giant toad, and 2 cave crocs.  How does it sound?
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 12:50:14 am »

Depends on how hardcore your military is, already.

Naked gobbos and to a lesser extent, trogs are an easy target for relatively new military to cut their teeth on - training by doing is much, much faster, and if they are well-armored, then giving them wooden training weapons gives them plenty of chances to learn.

A cyclops is a semi-megabeast.  Save that for heros to take on one-on-one, so that you can get something really impressive on their kill sheet. 

Cave crocs are tameable, valuable, and really cool.  Don't kill them, tame and breed them.  Make a moat with a bridge-a-pult, and fling goblin invaders into Cave Croc infested waters for good times.  I loves me my cave croc moat.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 01:51:44 am »

Sadly my crocs are both male so no family of happy crocs munching of gobo bones at the bottom of my moat. I'm about to put my 30 or so trogs against my cyclops.  I don't know how ill recapture my cyclops but i have a long hall of cage traps outside of my arena.
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 02:34:25 am »

You can always hold onto the male cave crocs and hope...

Also, killing semi-megabeasts is a great way to get your weapons named and titles for your heros.  I'd really save the cyclops for giving some aspiring hero in your fort to take down.  You can get attached weapons/quasi-artifacts for killing a semi-megabeast with a certain weapon.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 03:04:59 am »

I actually had quite a few named weapons in one fort, where I simply had a 1x1 danger room with 10 spears.  Got about 5 named weapons in two years.  Annoying as hell, when my guys would keep their (bronze battle axe) instead of a *Steel Battle Axe*
Pages: 1 [2]