Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: One survivor, What do I do  (Read 1190 times)

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
One survivor, What do I do
« on: February 04, 2011, 04:28:00 pm »

I have been working on a fortress for about a week. Everything has been going great and it was thriving with a population of 56 dwarves, all happy and taken care of.
Then my mayor got greedy and requested an adamantine door. As if he hadn't had enough.
My dwarves furiously mined through the adamantine until I got a message;
"you have reached an eerie cavern"

50+ Demons poured out and slaughtered my entire population, women, children, men, babies all have been torn to pieces as the demon horde ploughed through my fortress.

After a few days of trying to block them off I realised there was nothing I could do and searched for survivors. There was one survivor, a mason who had been walled inside of a smelting room and saved by a good friend who sacrificed himself to let his friend live.

So I am left with this 1 dwarf. Lately his close friend has been haunting him and my survivor has been miserable lately. I looked on his profile turns out he had a wife and child who have been slaughtered and he is deeply depressed. He has no way of getting food or water without destroying the wall which separates him from inevitable death. What do I do now? Do I wait for migrants or just let him die?

EnDSchultz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: One survivor, What do I do
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 04:33:15 pm »

It sounds like you've had some Fun! I'm no expert, but it sounds like this fort is pretty well over for you...what do you think will happen to those migrants if they arrive before your lone survivor dies of thirst? ;)

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 04:35:50 pm »

Well what I'm thinking is, since he is in the smelting room I can create an iron pick and then create an alternate upstairs/downstairs staircase going straight up until I reach the green green earth :P    since my fortress is entirely encased in a moat and large walls with a roof so the flying demons can't get out I should start all over with this 1 dwarf, right next to my old fort. Fun was had.

scratch that idea, he's gone insane
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 04:42:28 pm by GrayFoxUA »

Duhwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:27:38 pm »

scratch that idea, he's gone insane

Strangly I'm not surprised.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:29:38 pm »

Pro tip: make bomb shelters. Rooms with a retractable bridge (and magma around, for the dwarfy touch), food, booze, and a copper pick. Engrave the whole, put some beds and statues, you can save a little number of dwarfs from pretty much anything and keep them happy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:24:26 pm »

You've had Fun!  This invariably happens to all forts, either you get bored, FPS death, or literal death.  But that's ok!  Losing is Fun!  Now you can do it again, without the mistakes you made!  Just think, this time you can properly arrange your bedding, or do your forges the right way since you realize how to now, or not lose that group to thirst because now you know how to handle booze.

This is how DF plays.  You play, you die, you get better, you get bored, you make megaprojects.  Then you take a break for a month or two since you're bored, until Toady releases a new version, like bees and eggs, and the cycle repeats itself.

Lamphare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:03:31 pm »

hereby, i present you with, Bronzemurder

Syraine

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORGOTTEN_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:37:36 pm »

Yeah, I had a similar problem, but managed to wall off the cavern via a cave-in. My explorer died. Then most of my fortress turned into guerilla warfare.

Shortly after, I abandoned. When I returned my fortress was gone barring one small section, and part of the mountain had collapsed.

GG, not intending to unearth demons.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:40:22 pm by Syraine »
All games contain tamable spiders.

All spiders can set traps.

One of my fortresses contains a troll made of flame. http://www.nineplanets.org/pluto.html